Streaming live at 10am (PST)

How to add a blog to a Webflow theme that is not a CMS

I created a site for a client who chose a Webflow theme that is not a CMS. He wants me to add a blog now. Will I need to redo the whole site now in a different theme that is a CMS or will it be enough that the client will pay for CMS hosting and then I can add the blog after the site is transferred to his Webflow account?

Hey @kditsme :wave:

You can CMS content to any site, whether it’s a blank template, or a non-CMS template you purchased. You will of course need to add the necessary hosting.

If you load the site and go to the CMS tab on the left panel, you will see that you can add collections from there. You will be prompted to add the hosting throughout the process.

Take a look through our university pages if you get stuck on adding this:

and of course you have our great forums for support if you get stuck with anything! We’re here to help :slight_smile:

I’ve added the blog, however, it’s not allowing me to style the rich text that is linked to the blog. Is that a sign that it needs to have CMS hosting before I can do this? Thanks!

Hello @kditsme

What kind of styles you want to apply to the rich text element? You need to add a class to the rich text element in order to make style changes.

Can you share your read-only link?

Check here for more info about rich text elements > https://university.webflow.com/article/rich-text

Piter :webflow_heart:

Thanks! I was able to style the RTE before I linked it to the blog body, but if I want to make styling changes afterwards, it doesn’t seem to allow it.

Here’s the link and I’ll be pleased to get feedback if something in the blog CMS should be setup differently: https://aluflegaloutsourcing.webflow.io/blog

Ou yes, you can’t style the rich text element after is linked to the blog body. Unlink it and make the changes you want. Link again when you’re ready.

Piter :webflow_heart:

Thanks very much for your help Piter!