How to combine CMS Hosting with other uses for domain

Alright, so I finally found the time to play with the Webflow CMS. I love how easy and fast it is to get a dynamic site up and running.

But:

I want to use this CMS hosted plan for my agency website. But the thing is that the hosting requires the domain to be pointed at Webflow’s servers. But of course a lot of people also use their domain for other purposes, such as email. For example, we use our agency domain for other things that should be available to our team and to our customers: web applications, invoices and other stuff.

So I’m wondering how do others go about doing this? Can I just point my top level domain to Webflow, and keep my email and subdomains hosted on my VPS?

Yes. Your WWW CNAME and naked domain can point to Webflow using A-Records while other CNAMES for your subdomains are pointed else where.

In fact, this is how we use our domain name.

Also, for email hosting, just point your MX records to your own email host.

I hope this helps. If not, please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist further! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Nelson

1 Like

Yes your business’ email hosting is completely separate from your website’s hosting. A and CNAME records are used for your website, while MX records are used for your emails. A common misconception about the “bundling” of one’s website with email was likely created by hosting companies that market it that way to increase the number of services people pay them for. :stuck_out_tongue:

More info here: MX record - Wikipedia