Streaming live at 10am (PST)

How to create a "Blog Category"

I was watching the video on how to filter blogs, but i dont know how to make categories.

how did he create that?

This is the basic principle of a database: cross tables. In Webflow’s language: referenced collections.

So you have a collection called blog post right? With fields like Title, Body of text, Images etc. Two obvious things you need to add are : category, and author if there’s more than one author. But those are repeatable informations, so you don’t want to type them in as text in a text field of your blog post collection. Also you want to be able to sort by category or author a list of blog posts later.

To do this, create a new collection. Called Categories. Add a text field for the name of the category, and maybe a color field so you can later give a colored hint in each blog post depending on its category. Once done, add 3 categories to begin with.

Once the collection is made, go back to the settings of your blog post collection, add a Reference field and select the category collection. Now in each blog post (creation or editon) you’ll have a list to pick categories.

And do the same for Authors, and for anything that is a characteristic of a blog post.

here is my link, im probably missing something.

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/realestate-bdc930?utm_source=realestate-bdc930&preview=42e876997b1bc1a43131b82e90be6f8a

You’re almost there but I can’t show you on your site because we can’t add fields to the CMS of a read-only site :slight_smile: But I’m showing you on another site.

You have your blog posts collection, you have your categories collection, now you need to reference the categories in the blog posts. Do like this:

And while we’re at it, here’s how to use the colors we’ve assigned to categories. You can use them as text color or background color.

Categories colors make more sense in a list:

Duuuude your awesome!!

thank you for your help