How to Create a Lynda.com or Khan Academy Like Site

I am new to Webflow and am wondering if it is possible to create a site like Lynda.com or khanacademy.com using it.

Let me be a bit more specific (at the end of this description, I have a link to a video which shows what it is that I am trying to do).

I am NOT talking about membership or accepting payments, but rather about create a number of courses that are broken up into sections and lessons.

For instance:

COURSE #1

SECTION 1

• Lesson 1a
  • Lesson 1b
  • Lesson 1c
  • Etc

SECTION 2

• Lesson 2a
  • Lesson 2b
  • Lesson 2c
  • Etc.

SECTION 3

• Lesson 3a
  • Lesson 3b
  • Lesson 3c
  • Etc.

COURSE #2

SECTION 1

• Lesson 1a
  • Lesson 1b
  • Lesson 1c
  • Etc

SECTION 2

• Lesson 2a
  • Lesson 2b
  • Lesson 2c
  • Etc.

SECTION 3

• Lesson 3a
  • Lesson 3b
  • Lesson 3c
  • Etc.

And so on…

A student would start at the first lesson and then progress one lesson at a time through the sections and course. At the same time, there would be a side accordion menu, with each section being an accordion section which contains all of the lessons of that section.

In terms of course creation in the CMS…

One would need a means of creating a course, the sections for that course and the lessons for each section. The lessons content can vary – but for this particular question lets assume that it will just be a video. The course, though, will have it’s own content – such as other, description, etc.

Is this possible to create with Webflow? If so, can anyone give me a sense of how to get started?

Here is a video showing what it is I am trying to do: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

[sorry that the sound is not so good :)]

Thanks and be well,

Moshe

It’s doable but keeping track of how much you’ve completed would require some kind of custom code. Building a site that complex will take a lot of time but it is doable. You’d just make a collection for your course items or do different collections for different courses depending on how you want to organize it. The side pane information on the collection page could all be populated by the cms and sorted into tabs. Making it responsive would be an additional challenge. It’s very doable but I can tell you it would take me likely 100 or more hours to build it myself and I’ve been working in webflow for a number of years. It’s up to you if you think it’s worth that time or if you think it’s worth hiring someone to do a lot of it for you.

Thanks - that’s what I needed to know. I think it’s best if I look for a ready-made solution.

I appreciate your help.

All the best,

Moshe

1 Like

That’s was a piece of very useful information, In future it is very useful for a student I hope the price of the courses is reasonable for every student.