How to Link a CMS collection to a dropdown menu?

Hi, Sorry i am very new to this.

I am creating a training website and i am looking to link to the different course categories on the homepage. i have been through every tutorial and i am just not getting it. Can anyone help?

Right now in the “courses” section i am just linking to each category via external URL, but i know there is a better way to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve attached a link below (hopefully) for more info

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/iipe-project?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=iipe-project&preview=2ec61a5d5c677f0ed91b829917329dcb&pageId=5f06f78125cda0beeeb114ed&itemId=5f17fede3d38e50ecbcb98fb&mode=preview

Actually there currently is not. Webflow only shows links to CMS items as an option inside a RT Field within a Collection Item. For whatever reason it’s not there. Just remember if you change slugs you should update your manual links.

EDIT: Not without a collection list as you discovered. I was under the impression you were trying to add manual links to collection items.

Is it not viable to have a collection list (connected to the Categories collection) present within the navbar? Here’s how I’ve approached it and it seems to work, but I could be overlooking a reason why this method shouldn’t be used:

EDIT: I may have misread the initial question / your response as I thought Andy was talking about the navbar for some reason

Hi Andy, that worked! Exactly what i was looking to do, your screenshots were so helpful. Really really appreciate it thank you so much for the help!

1 Like

Do we know if this is a planned feature for the future? 2 years later it’s still not possible to dynamically link to CMS posts outside of a rich text field. This is a big issue for clients trying to use the Editor to add links to CMS posts outside of a rich text field.

Generally the best place to watch is the Wishlists. Webflow will generally announce if there are any features “in progress” there. If you don’t find this feature request, you can, add it.

@Ruairi_McNicholas - I have run into this issue with clients before. It is a obvious shortcoming that really needs to be addressed. I suspect if enough people sounded off in the Wishlist it might get on the product managers radar screen.

1 Like