How to upload an animated GIF which is larger than 4 MB to webflow. is there any way to rasie 4 MB limit bar?

why would webflow constrains all image size at under 4MB, can this be large somehow.

Even above 2Mo you should use a MP4 video and the bg video component instead of a gif. Gif is not only heavy, it’s very consuming on the visitors’ end.

1 Like

hi, vincent
thanks for replying. is there any way to raise the 4mb bar.

What’s the best way to convert a gif into a mp4?

No. You can host the file somewhere else, like Dropbox or any file server, then use custom code to call it.

The best way is to find the source of the animation and go from there.

If you can’t, you can open an animated gif in Photoshop and export it as a video. And there must be a lot of tools available to do the same.

1 Like

Still gif is sometimes better. For example, I can use it instantly on the website and also include them in collections. An upload limit for gif of 10 MB would be acceptable enough. Please add this feature.

1 Like

not sure anyone would wait for their browser or mobile phone to finish loading your 10mb GIF :slight_smile: Like Vincent rightfully said, above 2mo one should consider using mp4 video. GIFs were simply not meant to be that heavy.

1 Like

There are multiple reasons for this:

1. Currently you can’t load mp4 in a collection item, so that’s a major deal breaker all-ready
  2. You can only use background-video as far as i know - not as a video-object
  3. There are audiences that watch mainly on desktop - currently 10MB is on most connections loaded in a sec.
  4. Then there’s the ‘charm’ that GIFs have, and also the easy way to distribute them across the net - that’s a lot harder with mp4.

My case applies to all 4 of these.

There might be workarounds to play (backgroud) video’s, but you need to host them elsewhere. Me and my 3 editors want to edit all content in one place: Webflow.

PS. On Discord we’re doing most of the project management and constantly moving GIFs around between 5 and 40MB and it work’s like a charm. The bad news is that most are more than 4. We could optimize them more and fit most in 10MB - hence my request to up the limit.

Check this example to see what we’re doing with animated GIF: https://blue-and-red.webflow.io/unit/armmanni

4 Likes

Bumping this to grumble about how ridiculous it is to pay for a premium service that doesn’t allow for larger image file sizes.

3 Likes

Yes the limit should be raise or can be set by user

2 Likes

What a disappointment, I was so hyped about discovering webflow, it seemed perfect in every way. It is expected from 3d video creators like me to have video loops and fun stuff on website, visitors are okay to wait for 10 seconds on load, considering how efficient mp4 and webm. And to use them on on-scroll animations instead of JPGs. JPG sequence TEN TIMES heavier than mp4 with the same visual quality. I hope developers let us use video just like images, allowing for amazon hosting if there are concerns about space. Maybe I’m naive, but what are the real reasons in 2022 not to have videos on the website? To not have that choice at least.

1 Like

Hey @olegzv welcome to the forum community and using Webflow.

Your disappointment is understandable based on what you’re trying to accomplish on your site. There is a Wishlist for feature requests and I found this request which I think matches your needs. Please visit there, add your vote, and a comment on why this would be useful for your use-case.
https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-567

In the meantime, there are two elements in Webflow that may be a better fit than a GIF and a little closer to what you are trying to achieve.

1. Use the background video element with an optional play/pause toggle
  2. Use the Lottie element which can be controlled via interactions and the while scrolling in view trigger

Hope this helps. Happy designing!

Hey Matt, thank you very much for the wishlist. I can’t remember why I was so frustrated in the morning, I’m not even web designer. I’ll try these alternatives.

2 Likes

To Convert MP4 to GIF use VistaCreate
To cut frames, resize and reduce size further then use RedKetchup

Tom - Co-Founder at Dexla. Website built in Webflow :slight_smile:

Hello,

From my side @matthewpmunger , I’m looking for a way to place good quality gifs in the collection list, and there is no opportunity to include Lottie animation or background video. Please take a look at my example here. HABITAT the block which is turning is in a really bad quality as I could only upload a gif in this setup. What would you recommend?