Href prefix - Reverse proxy? Rule?

Hi, I am trying to create an “Events” site by Webflow, which will be a part of a main site created and hosting somewhere else.

And I would like the result like this:
Main site: www.domain.com
“Events” site hosted by Webflow: www.domain.com/events

I think the “Href prefix” feature will can do the job:

And it says:

1. Install a reverse proxy on top of your web server. You can use nginx, node-proxy, or rails-reverse-proxy, depending on what web server you use.
  2. Create a rule that proxies all requests to acme.com/blog and acme.com/blog* to your Webflow subdomain, acme-blog.webflow.io.

I do not quite understand these two lines. Would someone please explain a bit further?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Anthony!

Replying to this for anyone who comes across the ‘Href prefix’ term and is looking for answers.

A reverse proxy is a pretty useful tool when you’re trying to create a separate “Events” site that’s hosted by Webflow but still part of your main site. Essentially, a reverse proxy sits in front of your other servers and directs traffic to the right place based on the URL that’s requested.

You have a few options for setting up a reverse proxy for your Webflow-hosted “Events” site, one of them is by using Cloudflare Workers. Cloudflare Workers are a type of serverless function that can be used to modify or process requests as they pass through Cloudflare’s edge network. This means that you can use Cloudflare Workers to proxy requests to your Webflow-hosted “Events” site when someone visits www.domain.com/events. It’s a bit more technical than using a service like Subfold, but it’s a great option if you’re already using Cloudflare for your DNS and have experience with JavaScript.

Another option is using a service like Subfold. Subfold is a platform that allows you to connect your Webflow-hosted sites to custom domains with just a few clicks. It also has the option to set up a reverse proxy, making it a great solution for your use case. With Subfold, you don’t need to deal with the complexity of configuring a reverse proxy on your own and you can easily manage your domains and redirects.

While both options can do the job, in my opinion, Subfold is a better option for setting up a reverse proxy for your Webflow-hosted “Events” site. It’s a user-friendly and easy-to-use service that can save you a lot of time and hassle. And it’s a good option for those who don’t have experience with Cloudflare Workers or javascript.

Let me know if you have any other question, happy to help!