Streaming live at 10am (PST)

HTML5 Video autoplay now working on mobile?

Hi,

I've been looking into how to implement HTML5 videos as a background video on mobile. Previously I thought it was impossible due to OS limitations, however I've found it being used on quite a few websites now (They aren't GIFS as far as I can tell) and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I could achieve this?

Here's an example,

www.theweeknd.com

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

Autoplay Background Video - Not working

Apparently you only need the playsinline attribute...

I have a working example with just that code:

At least on iPhone / IOS10

<video playsinline autoplay loop muted style="min-width:100%; min-height:100%;" >
 	<source type="video/mp4" src="//bg.cdn.ustudio.com/app/transcodes/TQAdh6DJdtuY.mp4">
 	<source type="video/webm" src="//bg.cdn.ustudio.com/app/transcodes/TuX1xml2yZsS.webm">
</video>

EDIT: Ok so neither theweeknd.com nor my example work on Android. So i suspect this method only works for iOS10. Maybe also on very modern Androids handsets and browsers...

EDIT2: I confirm all of the above

Template HTML Video Playback on Mobile Devices
Background video on mobile?

That's absolutely incredible, thank you so much for your quick help Vincent! Unfortunately I don't have an android device to test this on, but do you know if I'll need to supply a fall back image for older android devices?

iOS relaxed their restrictions. If the video doesn't have sound, it CAN be autoplayed inline.

I have tested it on many android devices now, so I can say it's not working at all on Android. Only iOS10 Safari.

So yes you need to provide a fallback for all the rest.

Embed Video Not Displaying on Mobile View

Oh ok, so the mutedattribute isn't even needed. Makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.