I can't paste elements! | Section elements cannot be pasted inside each other

Hello,
as you can see in the screenshot I tried to copy and paste an element, to be specific the columns element in the middle of the pic. I wanted to paste onto another page but I always got the same error message “Section elements cannot be pasted inside each other.”. This goes for every element I tried to do this with, in this project.
To be clear I selected the element I wanted to paste the copied element in.
In this case I selected a section element and tried to paste the columns block inside of it.

I have worked on several Webflow projects and this kind of thing never happened.
Do you have any idea why this happens?
My guess is that it has something to do with the element structure of this template, but I can’t find out what exactly happens (this is my first time working with templates).

Read only link: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/sinas-website?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=sinas-website&preview=f5646c66367656cb4d75863e5dc4c0d3&pageId=5fbe8f82e078ec07709a477c&mode=preview

from MDN
The HTML <section> element represents a standalone section — which doesn’t have a more specific semantic element to represent it.

So there is a reason why Webflow doesn’t let you place <section> inside <section> It make sense to me and I have doubt that Webflow ever allowed wrong HTML structure.

its not a BUG so I have removed bug tag

MDN

Hi Stan, im not sure i understand your answer, this issue is happening to me too, I have one project where I cannot copy/paste almost anything. Doesn’t matter if its an item to one section or in the same section. I have another proect (a bought template) where yes i can so there is something wrong or something im not able to figure it out.
@soz I feel your pain.
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/a-weather-way?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=a-weather-way&preview=5f017fafc160911c73c85fe4f85b6191&mode=preview

HI @oncold original question was about placing section element into another section. So as you can read in MDN section can’t (should not) be placed in another section. It is the same as if request will be why I can’t or is semantically wrong eg. to place h1 into h1.

If you have problem with your template (theme) you can ask developer team who you bought theme from. If you have a specific question to Webflow (not theme) feel free to create a new thread.

If MDN doesn’t answer the question about <section> element you can read more details on W3C this consortium is setting the rules what and how but its is a bit techy read, even for me. :wink:

Hello,
I talked with the designer of this specific template. And it seems to be an issue with the template itself. And not Webflow. I would suggest using another template.

A little clarity on “sections”.

Weblow’s designer has a “Section” block.
It is a plain div with no styling in the page HTML unless you add some. The restriction on nesting comes from the designer and is self-imposed by Webflow.

Using an HTML <section> element is different
To use a element one just ads a

to the page and then sets its tag setting to “section”. This converts the div to whatever HTML tag you choose.

It does beg the question as to why Webflow decided to do this. Probably so you could easily group content and rearrange it in the designer. That’s my guess.

Here is the HTML for reference.
DevTools - section-playground.webflow 2020-12-17 at 6.10.14 AM.io_

1 Like

hi @webdev my suggestion that Webflow set this rule for <section> has is to do with keeping some way difference between basic div and section even that it is only plain div for these who aren’t familiar with css. WF referencing it or explaining ( in video ect.) as sections separator/container.

I can imagine that behind scene WF just referencing this element as <section> no mother what tag you apply to it. That’s what I have tried explain why it doesn’t work or more accurately what is section basic behaviour.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.