Streaming live at 10am (PST)

I really don't understand how Webflow is cascading css

I’m confused as to when and how I am supposed to use combo classes and when I am supposed to duplicate and why neither of them really seem to obey the rules of CSS as I understand them.

Let’s say I make a div with two divs inside it. I give this div a class of “box” and the first div inside it gets a class of “inner” and a background color.

I then duplicate that element and add a combo class to the div - it is now " box " with a combo class of “second.” I change the background color of the “inner” div. It changes it in both of my “box” divs. the combo class has done nothing.

I do the same exercise but now I duplicate the class. the second “box” div becomes “box copy”.
I change the background color of “inner” and it changes both instances. The duplicated class has no effect on the children inside it.

Am I missing something? is the intention that I am supposed to duplicate or add a combo class to every single element? So if I duplicate this element 6 times, I have to duplicate the class 6 times AND duplicate the class of the “inner” div every time? This seems like a lot of work. I’m coming from writing scss and this just feels nuts. I don’t understand why the combo class alone - which is the easiest for workflow - doesn’t allow me to make changes that only apply to children of the div with the combo class.

I’d love to hear an explanation. Thanks!

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Webflow provides this course on how classes and combo classes are maintained in the designer, in the event you missed it. However, it does not address your issue, IMHO.

I also long for standard CSS cascade functionality and find myself having to create multiple base classes and combo classes that I usually address through inheritance when writing CSS by hand. Funny thing is you can create nested styles from Rich Text elements that have a class, just not anywhere else.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, @webdev. I will watch. I’m, glad I am not just imagining it!