IE 11 or Earlier Redirect? Best Modern Solution To Deal With Internet Explorer

Hey gang,

Was wondering the best way to setup a redirect or deal with Internet Explorer in 2020 (I am aware that IE is being phased out in 2021, but my client has some concerns.)

I tried adding this to the head:

<!--[if IE]>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.location = "http://www.google.com/";
</script>
<![endif]-->

But, no luck on IE 11 :frowning:

I am still debating the best way to do this and have searched some options. But, I’m not sure that I want to just prompt users to download chrome as that may be off putting to some of my client’s clients.

I wouldn’t mind just making a special case page on the site with the quick and relevant info and something that tells users to use a different browser to get the full experience. That’s why a redirect is favourable to me. But, I am open to hearing other suggestions.

I don’t think you’ll need a preview link for this question, but correct me if I’m wrong.

And thank you all for helping me so far. :smiley:

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

The best modern solution to deal with IE is to do nothing. People using this dead browser already experience broken sites almost everywhere. MS has released EDGE and it works great. If they are not on a platform that supports edge they have other browsers to choose from. Stick a fork in it, it’s done. If I had to support the 2% of users still trying to surf the web with it I would just keep the layouts simple with floats and basic flexbox and forgo CSS Grid. Support of IE has been well discussed in this forum if you just do a search for IE. Good luck.

1 Like