Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Importing comments from Wordpress

Hi there!
I have a customer with a blog on their old site, and we’ve gotten quite far in the design process to get them over to Webflow. But they suddenly asked about the comments on the old site… They have 636 comments on their 440 blog posts, so some quite automatic way to transfer these would be nice. They’ve been using the native wordpress comment-plugin, and I found another plugin that should make it easy to export the plugins, and it seems to be quite easy to import them to Disqus.

Still I need to make them show with disqus in the Webflow. I haven’t had the chance to try yet, so I’m really just wondering if anyone else has done something similar before?

Any experience would be helpful, really. Thanks in advance!

/H

1 Like

Hello @Havard_Langmoen

I think that the comments will show up, but I’m not sure. I’m waiting for a response from Disqus and I will share the answer here.

Piter :webflow_heart:

I’m also tranferring a blog from Wordpress to Webflow and would like to have old comments transferred. Any insights into how to go about this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Still waiting a response from disqus. I will text them again.

Basically you need to import your comments from Wordpress into discuss. Then when you have all that working on the old site, and you import your wordpress posts into webflow, you will migrate your discus comments.

https://help.disqus.com/import-export-and-syncing/importing-exporting

https://help.disqus.com/import-export-and-syncing/migration-tools

This process applies to comments only. Not importing your blog posts.

(NOTE: THERE IS A CURRENT ISSUE IMPORTING RICH TEXT FIELDS THAT HAVE IMAGE REFERENCES INSIDE - THE IMAGES WILL NOT COME OVER AND WILL BE REPLACED WITH A PLACEHOLDER)

Thanks for the answer. I’m sorry to be so dense but I’m not clear on the exact procedure to follow. Do I install Disqus onto both my old blog and my new blog? Do I need a separate account on each of the blogs or will just the one account suffice? I have a pretty good handle on how the designer works. I can get the pages to look the way I want and do what I want it to do, but I never dealt with setting up a CMS before. My Wordpress blog kind of set up itself, but I hate the Wordpress interface and dealing with all the plug-ins. That’s why I’m switching. But I can’t understand why there isn’t a tutorial about switching from WP to WF that includes a step by step guide for transferring comments. I can’t imagine why most people wouldn’t want to bring the comments over. I found the Discus tutorial to suffer from the same malady that makes most tutorials and manuals too obtuse: they’re created under the assumption that the target audience has the same level of understanding as the author. Newbies, like myself, need to have everything explained as if we know nothing. Because we don’t. I’ve been teaching over 40 years. That’s how you teach. Imagine your students know nothing. Sorry for venting.