Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Interactions duplicating when applied to symbols

Hey,

I am working on my site at the moment and when I have been creating symbols with interactions attached, I find bringing them into other pages creates duplicates of the interaction when I unlink the symbols I believe. This ends up flooding my interactions list and since I cant delete multiple items at once I have to go through removing them over and over as I make changes.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or how to avoid this.

(I am currently working on my menu interactions)

Here is my public share link: LINK

@Maydris when using Symbols for applying duplicate items across multiple pages, you do not need to unlink them, unless you need to change something specific about them within each new page.

Symbols are used to take what you created on one page and duplicate it to another page. I would not use a Symbol if you plan on making changes to it on each page. Just copy what you have created from one page to another, this way you will be able to make your page side changes.

If this doesn’t help, please advise on why you need to unlink the symbol in the first place?

Thanks.

@BluBerry_Media the symbol is unlinked to allow me to change the words in the page nav section of my menu (in this case).
I’m guessing based on what you recommend I should just copy paste the menu between pages as opposed to making them symbols to avoid the issue. Is that correct?

I only have 7 total pages, so it certainly wouldn’t be to inconvenient.

Yes since you it sounds like you are changing the words. However, why are you needing to change the words?

I like your slide out menu, I would keep using that instead of the menu options on the left and right. My opinion, it is your site tho. However, if you want to use the side menus, use conditional filtering and place them in a CMS collection, so you can set them without even adjusting your interactions.

Its a round about way of doing it, but it would create a true dynamic menu setting.

This is exactly the problem I faced a few days ago. The way to replicate it is easy - create interaction, apply it to element, include this element in a symbol, unlink symbol, BAM! You have a duplicated interaction. Why would it even do this?