IOS 6 - Hero-Background.jpg Not Visible on Slate Demo

Hello,

After completing the training on webflow university, I checked the site on an iPhone 3GS running ios 6. The hero-background.jpg is not visible. Then I navigated to the slatetemplate.webflow.com site. Same result. Is there an issue with ios 6? Is there a site where one could evaluate a published webflow site against most devices, operating systems and browsers? Thank you!

Hi @Quint, according to iOS resource limits (Official Page):

The maximum size for decoded GIF, PNG, and TIFF images is 3 megapixels
for devices with less than 256 MB RAM and 5 megapixels for devices
with greater or equal than 256 MB RAM.

That is, ensure that width * height ≤ 3 * 1024 * 1024 for devices with
less than 256 MB RAM. Note that the decoded size is far larger than
the encoded size of an image.

The image Hero-Background.jpg is a measly 83K, so it passes the first criteria to work on iOS Safari.

The problem is the dimensions. It’s dimensions are 2612 x 1248. According to the criteria the image has to have dimensions where width * height is less than or equal to 3 * 1024 * 1024 which equals 3,145,728. The image we have is 3,259,766.

The background seems to show up on my 4G and newer iPhones, so this must be for 3GS and below maybe.

Thank you, @thesergie for the quick and comprehensive reply. So, not only must testing be done for both browser and operating systems, the hardware must also be tested. Not that I expect a serious response, but are you aware of a site that simulates each one of these cases?