Ipad 12.9 / big tablet screen as new device category to design for

Hey there,

while cleaning the last bugs of my current project I noticed, that it would be super helpful to have an own category at the header bar which includes vertical XL tablet screens (eg. Ipad 12.9). The gap between a normal tablet and an Ipad 12.9 is quite a bit and it would be so great to have the opportunity to tailor on this screen.

What do you think?

Best
Richard

1 Like

@Richard_Petr
The 12.9 inch model has a 2732-by-2048 Retina Display at 264 pixels per inch, and the 9.7 inch model has a 2048-by-1536 Retina Display at 264 pixels per inch.

So based on those dimensions, both would fall into the default desktop breakpoint regardless of orientation right?

BTW: This is not a bug so it would be more appropriate in just feedback (IMHO).

Thanx for your quick reply.

My problem is that may default desktop is desiged to work horizontally. See the Screeni below why this is a problem for Ipad 12.9 (vertical mode):

It would be nice to give this special view a unique look.
Like for example on a smaller tablet screen like this:

Looking forward to hear you on this.

Best
Richard

There is nothing that can be done about this. iPad Pro’s are just too wide (1024 of regular pixels). You can use media queries to target exact resolutions (1024 by 1366) to serve unique layout for just this one device but that would be a huge hassle to do manually. If only we had an ability to create our own breakpoints…

yaapp own breaking points would be extremely helpful. It horrible to see the site like this on my ipad pro :confused:

@Richard_Petr

I;ve experience similar issue as you.

The best way to go about this is to insert Buffer Column %/VW into rows that have horizontal child flex and replace all containers with Div Block > rename Container, and parent section to 7-12% L/R padding. On desktop mode, define min widths as % values. This will translate into both Desktop and iPad Pro views fairly smoothly and force ROW/COLUMN to adapt accordingly to iPad pro vs Desktop automatically, whil maintaining integrity of your Tablet/Mobile Landscape/Mobile Portrait viewport settings.

Hi @Richard_Petr,

Thanks for sharing, and being able to set custom breakpoints would be great! Though it may add an additional layer of complexity, it would provide an even more custom experience.

You are not alone in thinking this would be an awesome feature to have in Webflow. It is definitely something you can vote for on our Webflow Wishlist

This is one of the best ways to get feature requests implemented, as highly voted requests are always seriously considered. :webflow_heart:

Thanks in advance, and don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions that I may help with :bowing_man:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.