Limit of 1 Nested CMS List on a single page

I need to understand why we are limited in the number of CMS lists we are allowed on a single page.

Can someone from the Webflow team please tell me why these are limited and in particular why we are only allowed to nest one CMS list?

2 Likes

Hi @moofawsaw,

Thank you for the feedback on the nested collection system. At this time we are keeping it to 1 nested collection per page with a limit of 5 because how performance is affected. Keep in mind that if you have a single collection with 100 items and you add a nested collection with 5 items, in reality, you have 500 items on that single page. 100 x 5 = 500 total items.

For now, we have it limited to 1 nested collection while we collect feedback from our users and perform some additional research into what nested collections are used for and how often they are being added.

And while we are keeping it to 1 per page now, we have a limit of 20 collections per page with 100 items per collection, if you add them up that is 2,000 items on a single page. When you start adding in nested collections you will then increase that multiplier higher. Therefore, we are making sure that the page’s stability is functioning as expected for that is what’s most important to our users at this time.

If you have any additional feedback on this subject, please refer to this feed: Feedback: Nest collection lists to display any referenced content as we are tracking feedback from our community there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

~ Happy Designing ~
Brandon

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Brandon. Are the same amount of resources used when conditional visibility is added? I sometimes use CMS list’s where I limit the CMS items to one, then nest a multi reference field. Perhaps there could be exceptions for smaller lists that don’t use all 100 items.

1 Like

@moofawsaw,

This is something we are looking into for a future update. This is where I would recommend adding to the feed thread I sent prior. Gaby is out PMM that oversees the data collection.

Have a Great Day and Happy Designing,
~ Brandon

1 Like

So why has this affected multi-ref? This was not a good update and is causing issues on a client build with a tight deadline.

@KUT

I’d recommend starting a new thread with some more information about the issue you’re having with an included read-only link. This will allow things to stay on topic since this thread has already been marked solved. A new (unsolved) thread will more likely attract the attention of another community member (or someone from Webflow) who will look into the specific issue further.

just ran into this for a project I’m doing, I use nested collection lists to show the category associated with a product. I use jetboost to allow users to favorite cms items. Just need 2 nested on this page im doing. I’m using single reference for the nested collection. It’s just a text link. Just wanted to explain kinda what i use it for and what im doing with it.

also i found this video f’n sweet made about a work around for doing multiple on page::

1 Like

So is limiting based on total items instead a possible suggestion? because I have a small site and this would be very useful to have multiple nesting collections

3 Likes

Limiting the CMS accomplishes absolutely nothing, except some devices may struggle to operate Webflow under certain conditions. People are apt to lots of creating… but, it’s clear when something just doesn’t go in favor of the end-user.

I have found that these limitations mean: no breadcrumbs, no dropdown menus, or just one global nested menu.

Also, it would be much easier to paste product data as json, as text. I would love if I could just change product informations (title, categories, descriptions) so I can stop messing with categories and other items.

I think everyone agrees with me when I say that Webflow should be a CMS as a single source of truth for products and data. Therefore, I should be able to place this data anywhere on my website at any nested quantity, etc.

I’m trying to build websites, and Webflow is continually becoming more limited. It’s tying me up and upsetting me. I love Webflow and the Webflow team, not trying to be rude.

Is it possible to remove arbitrary limits for specific projects?

edit
Getting super super ancy. Not trying to be impatient, but I’m here if there are any new updates. Message any time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi kow,

Unfortunately, no! These limits are product wide, especially for nested collections and also static pages.

1 Like

Any updates on if this will change and when? I want to stay with Webflow but this is making it so hard to do the simplest task of multi-referencing items in different categories on one page. Making multiple individual reference fields and building out that structure on the pages is so tedius when there is a perfectly good multi-reference field that could be used.

1 Like

Yeah would like to know of any updates on this as well

This would be perfect if it wasn’t for the text field. Since items are user generated it is very time consuming to go back and enter them manually

Hey @moofawsaw @Seantubridy @WillNeeteson - Found a lightweight solution for unlimited nested collections with 5+ items on single static pages :wink:. Here is the link to a clonable (incl. short documentation).

Feedback and ideas are very welcome!

2 Likes

Agreed, it’s absolutely disgusting, why should I have limitation of 1 nested collection if I have only 5 collection in total.

2.5 years later. This is a sad example of sacrificing the many, at the cost of the end user and blaming the outliers.

End users will have to make do without category names, breadcrumbs, tags, and poorer menus. Worse UX, worse navigation, and frustrated clients.

Webflow clients will still accomplish this but will have to go through complicated hoops and workarounds at absolutely no benefit to either party.

Sorry for my frustration; this seems to be in the same category as shutting off all electronics during take-off and landing because somebody said so at some point.

If the real issue is that you’re afraid of users wrecking themselves and their sites with out-of-control nests, then why not limit that instead of punishing everyone across the board for outlier scenarios?

5 Likes

Are there any Plans to ever Change anything about this ever again? :expressionless:

It feels a bit ridiculous that I cannot have two Collection Lists with Multi-Refs on one Page.
Also the multi refs are just textfields with Users so I doubt that would harm Performance at all.

1 Like