Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Limiting Collaborator Editing

Hi all,

I’m putting together a site for a client, and as they are going to be adding and removing job postings on a very regular basis, I guided them towards CMS and hosting with Webflow. The setup and such are perfect, super-cool and so forth.

The thing is, I notice of course that the collaborators can then access every single text block and image across the entire site, and edit it.

If I wish to restrict their access to certain elements, I know I can go to Editor Settings and disable “Allow Collaborators to edit this element”, but I wanted to ask — is this a cascading control? For instance, if I have a main container or div with multiple elements inside and I want to disable all access, or even restrict to one text box within (for example), can I turn the collaborator edit option off on the top-level container element and it disables all the items within (and then turn one back on within)?

It doesn’t seem so, because their check boxes are still active when I view them… so does this mean I need to flick back and forth between the Navigator and Element Settings panels to select and manually activate/deactivate collaborator access PER ELEMENT?

I’m hoping someone can put my mind at ease here :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

Steve

Hey @energidesign I believe you are correct from what I recall.

I tested this myself and was not getting cascading settings for disabling content in the editor. @PixelGeek @Waldo @Brando can someone confirm if this is how the feature should be functioning. I was unable to find the documentation for this feature to confirm if this is bug or expected behavior.

Hi Matthew,

Yes, it seems a strange behaviour. A very cool (and needed) option to have, but without some form of parent/child relationship control, it’s a ton of work in either direction to set up the relevant user controls…

Any thoughts @PixelGeek @Waldo @Brando ?

Steve

STEVE HOLMES
Creative Director

ENERGI.DESIGN

MOTION_WEB_UXUI

Heyo @energidesign @matthewpmunger

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this. I did some testing too and can confirm the current behavior is that this setting will not cascade down from parents to children elements.

That said, I agree this would be a solid addition and I’ve filed an internal enhancement request to get the conversation started.

I can’t say for sure if or when we’ll build this out, but I’ll update this thread if anything changes :smiley:

Thank you!

Also, it may be a bit faster to use the keyboard shortcut to check/uncheck this setting: CMD+Shift+L