Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Linking to Anchors or Sections in other pages

Hi there Tine22

I'm trying to anchor a few div's on my site using your directions but the 404 NOT FOUND page keeps popping up...

Can you break down the process in very basic terms please?

Cheers!

Reopened upon request.

Continuing the discussion from Linking to Anchors or Sections in other pages:

This topic is closed but not solved @PixelGeek @cyberdave @samliew

Seems that for having a link to an anchor on another page, this won’t work:
URL to /anypage#anchorname

We exporters have to use:
URL to http://www.domain.nl/anypage.html#anchorname

(as to be seen on www.natuuropjebord.nl, look for the dropdown in the navbar, 2nd, 3rd etc link in the Ddown)

… and thus regrettably aren’t able to test on the webflow.io-domain.

Apparently webflow staff haven’t seen (or at least responded sufficiently to) this old topic but maybe now is the time! :slight_smile:

Thx in advance!

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

► [LIST] Feature Availability & Limits

And now just to draw attention to this topic:

How do Webflow staffers respond to my latest post (see before)? @cyberdave

Hi Webflow staff @cyberdave @pixelgeek @Brando

Would really appreciate your view on this topic!

Tom

Hi @TomLamers

Thanks for checking in on this.

We haven’t yet built out the native functionality to link to an anchor link on an other page.

However, using the full URL should still to achieve this. When building out your site in Webflow you can use the webflow.io subdomain URL (e.g. my-site.webflow.io/page#section). Then when you are ready to export you can adjust the URL to use the custom domain as you mentioned.

This isn’t ideal, but will allow you to test these links before exporting.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi Brandon

Thx for your reply!

But as you may have understood, I already knew how to work around this. What I am hoping for is that this functionality became a native part of Webflow, as the work around is practically unworkable. I would hope that customers who pay $ 240 a year (as I do) and use Webflow merely to design and build websites and then export, get the same attention and dedication as customers who also use Webflow as their host…

Could you give an estimate as to when this functionality can be built in?

Thx!
Tom

@Brando

Juist to bump this because would really like to know if, and when, this native functionality will be built out ??

Hi @TomLamers thanks for pinging me on this and sorry I missed that previous reply.

We don’t have any specific ETA on a feature like this, but it’s something we are looking into more – we have a couple of internal enhancement requests around improving anchor links.

That said, it would be awesome if you want to keep the conversation going by creating a Wishlist item for this feature request.

We are always looking to improve Webflow and look to the Wishlist when planning out the feature roadmap.

Hi, i need an advice, please. I have button on homepage with link to section on another page (with id). Button (url) works fine, but if you scroll up to menu, navigation link is not active. How can i solved this. Thanks.

HI @TomLamers

Thanks for your comment here.

The reason I don’t think this is a bug per say as the anchor links to other pages work as expected. So if the link setting is set to an external link and goes to your-domain.com/page#section, that link will lead to that URL. This is true for webflow.io domains and exported sites.

The limitation you are referring to, if I understand correctly, is that when you export your site you need to ensure the external URL uses your custom domain, while if you are testing on the webflow.io subdomain you need to ensure the URL uses the weblfow.io subdomain.

I agree that the UX here is not ideal and I’ve filed an internal enhancement request to improve control around anchor links. With this additional control, you should be able to specify a page and an ID in the settings and the Designer will fill in the blanks for you.

Again, I don’t have a solid time frame on when such an update will be rolled out but I’ll let you know as soon as I have more info. I really appreciate your help in improving this area of the Designer!

@Metrik that definitely sounds odd! Can you pleasereach out to support about this issue? Then we can help you resolve this right away.

@Brando Thanks for link. I will try to.

Hi @Brando

Thx for your interest in following up this issue!

I recall that in the past it was possible with Webflow to use relative paths like in ‘/pagename#anchor-Id’ or '…/pagename#anchor-Id’
I’m by far a code-expert but think this is a common way to refer to other pages on the same level or pages in a higher directory.

So, if this was once common in the WebFlow designer and now it is not, for whatever reason, it seems to me it is a bug.

FWIW, does it get resolved sooner if it is a bug? Then this is a bug :slight_smile:

Semantics are not that important in this discussion I think …