Mailchimp RSS Feed for each blog category

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

I want to send automated Mailchimp emails (new blog notifications) based on a segmented list. The notification from Mailchimp only goes to subscribers who signed up for that blog category. The segmentation is pulling from Webflow, so the groups match the blog categories.

It looks like the only way to do this will be to send separate RSS feeds for each blog category to Mailchimp. I can then setup the automation correctly. However it looks like you can’t send a separate RSS feed for each category.

Any ideas?

Hi Nic

Did you try zapier?

Doesn’t look like it: Connect your Mailchimp to Webflow integration in 2 minutes | Zapier

Unfortunately, you cannot create an automatic multithematic Mailchimp newsletter feeded by several RSS feeds coming from your blog categories, if it’s what you want.

I mean an automatic newsletter wich present all the new articles published, say, during one day or one week.

The only thing you can do is to build a newsletter with RSS blocks which will present the “n” last articles in each categories. That’s usually not the thing we want!

The only solution I know is a paid one: https://fliprss.com/.

Another solution, il your recipients are clearly separated (i’ve done that with specialized journalists inside an editorial team) is to create one automatic newsletter by category and to build a Mailchaimp form where each recipients can choose between your “n” newsletters.

For already subscribers you can deal with different newsletters attributions through “Groups”.

Cheers

Serge, from the volunteer project

Thanks for jumping in here @Serge_Courrier

Another solution, il your recipients are clearly separated (i’ve done that with specialized journalists inside an editorial team) is to create one automatic newsletter by category and to build a Mailchaimp form where each recipients can choose between your “n” newsletters

This is actually what I want to do. As you can see in the screenshot below, subscribers signup to groups (re-labelled to “interests”).

The groups align with the categories of the blog. We will publish one new blog post every week (eg a Wedding blog post) and I only want subscribers to get the content they signed up for.

I just can’t figure out how you would do this automatically in Mailchimp as all posts come through in one RSS feed.

You could just manually create different feeds on an external site and point to them as needed. It’s just XML.

Thanks for this! Do you have any “external site” recommendations. Not clued up with RSS.

Well just about any host would do. It is just a static file. You might look at the free tier with Amazon’s AWS and hosting static files on S3 Storage. You can open the url of your existing feed and inspect /save the source, then update as needed.

I don’t advise clients to use the feed feature in MC. I think that you are better off using campaigns targeting the list segments. That way you can provide a more relevant experience to the subscriber. Unsubscribe rates are high when you don’t.

You have here a complete tutorial I wrote about the subject… but in french… We could have DMs through my Twitter account (@secou) for example.
Cheers!

Thanks @Serge_Courrier, that’s very kind of you. I’ll run through your tutorial and spend a bit more time trying to figure it out before I bug you. Thanks again.

Great! One important thing I wrote in red on the first page is that Mailchimp doesn’t buffer the source RSS feed. So each week (for you) it will look in the RSS feeds you gave him to see if there’s something new. So if your RSS feed only display, say, 20 items and you did publish 25 news during the week (on this particular feed), Mailchimp will only post 20 items. With WordPress you can easily set any “depth” you like for your RSS feed. Don’t know if it’s the same for Webflow.

Hmm that interesting. Mailchimp got a bunch of uncertain issuses, we`re using it with popup forms and offten face various obtacles actually.