Making webflow work offline

So i have been working with the core libs and api’s that run the webflow editor to make it run in the browser but offline. However i have had issues accessing the que-site-migration.json stored on my local machine from the browser due to the CORs policy that disables access to the local file system from the browser. Is there a way to get around of this other than running a local server. I would try to see if i can use html to link the file but taking apart and redoing the webflow-design-min.8a983fdae9.js file woild take to long and i dont wanna screw something up. Any help is appreciated.

2 Likes

@anatole Maybe this can help you.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/allow-control-allow-origi/nlfbmbojpeacfghkpbjhddihlkkiljbi

interesting . . . but essentially the same thing as starting chrome with --allow-file-access-from-files. As it is chrome will still throw out the error when trying to access the json file. Im wondering if the only way to go around this is to make a special wrapper for the site that would feed the json files without having to run a server.

1 Like

I was using this when doing some testing with API. Could not call the server because of CORS error, This did solve the prob lem for me.

well I don’t know what the issue is then. lol I wish the calling of the file was laid out a lot simpler than the way they did it. would make things way simpler for me. literally this and the rum file r the only things I cant access from offline cause of that problem

1 Like

welp . . . I got the main project holder (for lack of better terms) loaded. Just trying to get the iframe to display those contents correctly.

1 Like

so after a lot of backtracking I have gotten the json files to load . . . so we now have a working editor that will load and work offline . . .

I will be looking into allowing to save to local storage later . . . just wanna create a small wrapper for the files first so i can get that standalone application vibe first.

EDIT . . . UPDATE

as you can see above I created a basic wrapper using the chromium framework to contain webflow as a standalone application that can run on windows . the standalone does run very slowly though as I quickly hashed it together by modifying a project that I had worked on in the past . . . however this is just a proof of concept that the webflow editor can be turned into a functional offline windows application somewhat quickly

1 Like

Oh man,

I would love this to happen, currently, my company is migrating from webflow to another program, webflow is very slow and crashing because of chrome …

shame they do not want to make an offiline app for those who need a program more like dreamweaver…

1 Like

Hey @lucaspchara,

I’ve been using Webflow with Chrome since 2014 and never had issues with it crashing.

I’d seriously recommend disabling any extensions you don’t need or looking at how much RAM your system has and perhaps not running as many open tabs all at once.

Can you describe your issues w/ Chrome?

1 Like

Hello,
my story is long,

I have already contacted the staff and already tried everything (without extension, firefox, opera, security mode, linux, other computers) … I have 16GB of memory, i7 8gen, 1060, ssd … it’s more than enough, the chrome, when it arrives in 2.5gb use in the webflow tab breaks, firefox at least lets get up to 7gb and does not break …

the problem is that our project is huge, has thousands of classes and sub-classes, webflow can not handle …

if you want to take a look: (the beginning seems normal, but as you move in it quickly turns an unbearable lag)

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/mapro-casas-layout2?utm_source=mapro-casas-layout2&preview=4e2fcf6fa03634b612fe5906f9317702

you can press shift + esc and start editing, when you reach 3gb (in webflow tab) you probably have already broken or become unbearable (a quick way to give lag is to creating a lot of classes)

This video is old but my site is almost like this … I sit … i cannot record some exemple right now

I do not know if you will be able to simulate the lag, preview mode it has a much better performance … tomorrow I can record a video …

I have about 28 tabs running was at 3.8 GB memory, opened another with your project preview. Played with the site for 5 minutes. No issues on my end. I have GPU acceleration running on that tab. Things look like all the other projects I run. Memory is stable at 3.79 GB right now.

Not sure what your issue is. If you have a FW running that hooks into your browser, that could be an issue. You might want to test on a clean machine. Good luck.

interesting how the initial topic went from designing an offline app to issues about lag. I have never had issues with lag when playing around on the editor though.

Man!!! You are really doing a great job!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: