Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Memberstack or Firebase?

You are probably referring to some videos I made in 2018. These are out of date now but the principle of how you can use Firebase and Webflow together is still the same. However I wouldn’t suggest anyone use this approach to build a real world production app. A quick and dirty MVP, sure, but there are major limitations with this approach for anything serious. Think of those videos more as information on how you can play around for fun.

To add to the comments about Memberstack above, the Memberstack guys themselves make it pretty clear on their website that they can’t securely gate content:

Also AFAIK they have never claimed that they can, so there is nothing to debunk there. They openly admit that it’s not actually secure.

The only way you can have real secure content with Webflow is to load that content after the page loads, and your back end will need to verify the user’s token. Which it looks like they are working on.

1 Like

Would you care to elaborate?

Sure I wrote an article outlining the biggest limitations here.

Hi Jason, your videos really helped me start with Firebase so thanks for that.

I’m currently learning svelte and working with a friend to build components in that, I was wondering if you have used it before? So far I’m pretty happy with it and it works well inside webflow.

Glad you enjoyed them. I’ve only ever played with Svelte, I’ve never built anything production with it. Seems pretty good but personally I wasn’t a fan of having to learn another syntax. React is much closer to vanilla JavaScript which makes sense to me.

Has anyone here ever tried Caspio for secure access and CMS?

Looking at it now, since you mentioned it - interesting though could be a higher cost than I could justify for a dozen clients, even the need is features that aren’t offered in the first two plans.

Your right. I used it initially for a statewide health company. It worked very well, but with HIPAA compliance it was $1000 a month just for the Caspio plan. Eventually rebuilt the web apps using a different no-code service.

Which one did you use?

Makes sense. Spending a little time in it showed some awesome flexibility but would certainly get up there in cost…far outweighing the value for my use-case.

What no-code service did you choose?

I would love to hear more about your thoughts on this. Have you read this mentioned somewhere?

It’s what they say here:

Although this has been up for ages so not sure how their dev is progressing.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha @jasondark… it looked as if you were referring to Webflow specifically, not MemberStack. It would be surprising to me if Webflow was specifically creating such a feature.

Have a look at the last comment in this thread where the Webflow CEO hinted at something coming in the next couple of quarters.

More specifically, this part:

So THAT is super interesting @jasondark and to be honest, very surprising. It’s hard to really read into what that means or if they’ll even complete it, but interesting none-the-less. I had been following that thread but as of late, stopped. It was devolving a bit too much for me :smile:

Yep I’m guessing that initially it’s going to be something to do with e-commerce user accounts but we will see.

Hey Jason,

I have made a basic firebase chat and I want users to sign in with memberstack and chat with my firebase chat.

Only problem I am facing is:
User authentication is required with firebase

Is it possible to let people sign in with memberstack on webflow and then chat with my firebase chat.

Please get back to me ASAP it’s really urgent.
I hope you understand.

Not directly as unauthenticated or anonymous users can’t write securely to the Firebase Firestore. You might be able to set up a back end process that creates your Memberstack users as Firebase users too, then maintain a reference between them somewhere. Then in the app authenticate the user with Firebase behind the scenes. Memberstack is a paid service so maybe ask them.

2 Likes

Right now based on your @jasondark videos, I’ve set up the basic login/logout. So, THANK YOU.

Next, I’ve created a Firestore “document” with the same auto-generated user.uid created by Firebase at signup and have stored a few custom fields.

I was able to successfully pull in this document dynamically using their documentation with some “auth” additions to set the userID. (Code may need some cleaning since I’m not a js expert).

<script>
firebase.auth().onAuthStateChanged(function(user) {
  if (user) {
     var userID = user.uid;
  } 
  else {
    // No user is signed in.
  }
  var docRef = db.collection("users").doc(userID);
  docRef.get().then(function(doc) {
    if (doc.exists) {
        console.log("Document data:", doc.data());
    } 
    else {
        // doc.data() will be undefined in this case
        console.log("No such document!");
    }
})
.catch(function(error) {
    console.log("Error getting document:", error);
  });
});
</script>

With these pulling in documents and their fields - I should be able to add the values to elements for displaying to customers in their dashboard.

Next, I am trying to look at how to create custom claims with the intention of hiding/showing links and allowing/disallowing access to specific pages based on the claim (e.g. redirect if does/does not match claim).

Hopefully, this info helps someone else.
If anyone has any input regarding this, feel free to interject!

Cheers

I have tried Memberstack and found it a reliable option for payment gateway without the use of code. It is easy to integrate Memberstack for webflow projects. With Memberstakc you wouldn’t have to end the stripe via email because it can make these procedures for login users.

On the contrary, Google Firebase is also a good option especially if you want a self-hosted and secure backend. However, it is not enough good for iOS testing and projects and in this regard, you can see alternates from here. Withal, if you want to use it with Webflow integration then I would like to go with Memberstack. By the way, I also heard a lot about Memberspace.