Multi references issues

Hey I have a question.

I’m trying to use the CMS references and multi references to show some item but I have hard time to understand how the multi references works.

Basically I have two collections and one of the collection uses the items from the other to display some of their elements.

So when I use single reference I have no problem, I can click on the image and then display the image from the item referenced. Actually I wouldn’t mind using single references, but they are limited to 3 and I need over 30 items. So I was thinking about using the multi-references but then when I try to link my image it doesn’t work. I click on “get image from” > “Select field…” but then the field is empty.

How am I supposed to make that work ?

You can only use multi-reference on a Collection Template to show Items that have the multi-reference element, that you select. E.g. you have 10 shops, 3 of them have a multi-reference called “red” - then you can output all shops that have the property “red”.

It wont let you select special html elements like images etc. with multi-reference. Its just a display filter ability. (if I am not wrong ;P).

Oh okay, then how am I supposed to display the image from my items ?

Do you want to insert these items (in a dynamic list) on a normal static page OR on a collection template?

Well basically I would like to insert it in a normal static page if possible.

Basically I’m making a database of family tree from big companies.
So each page would be one company so one collection and on this page I need to display the members in the order (First generation / second / third / etc).

So I have a list with different list items and in it I put some columns and each column will contain one member. The problem is that I want to display the image of each member on the column by referencing them to the family tree collection.

If you have a Dynamic List, that gets its data from a Collection called “SHOPS” - you only can insert an image that is an element within the Collection “SHOPS”. Multi-reference then comes into play when you only want to display certain shops with a certain multi-reference attribute (per dynamic list).

If you need further assistance could you please provide a more detailed scenario or paste your public link (if you want to).

So what I want to do is this : https://preview.webflow.com/preview/chaebol-fdd86c37ea23c3fbfc9f392f5bf9bfc?preview=6f02229bb317be01e69828ba55b84f76

Right now everything is static, but as I have to do that for a client that will need to be able to create new family trees like this one it get a bit tough.

Ah i see, well I m no CMS pro but I think it would need some sort of sub-category or sub-class in order to achieve some kind of hierarchy…I ll think abuot it but I m not quite sure if I get it fixed. Maybe there is someone out there that has more cms knowledge …

Alright ! Don’t worry and thanks for trying to help anyway ! I’ll try to find a way or maybe someone will have an idea ! Thanks !

Alright, youre welcome.

This can easily achieved:

But any deeper structure (like in your example) is not yet possible I think.
Hope you ll get along.

Daniel

Yeah that’s what I am kinda worried about.
Actually I kinda have an idea on how to do it, but it would require to use many single reference.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.