My search page is excluded from site search...and appears in my sitemap... how do I get rid of it?

Hi there,

I’m trying to get rid of my ‘Search Results’ Utility page… I’ve selected ‘Exclude this page from site search results’ but it still appears in my sitemap.

I have tried adding a re-direct… but it says ‘/search is already a page for this project’.

My search page is excluded from site search…and appears in my sitemap… how do I get rid of it?

Here is my site Read-Only: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/mount-pleasant-law?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=mount-pleasant-law&preview=a574671854d7e5196353f59b6515d940&workflow=preview
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

You can choose to use your own hand generated sitemap instead of Webflow’s auto generated one or you could alternately just exclude that page from search indexing by using the <meta name="robots" content="noindex" /> tag in the head of that document.

ah not really ideal, should be able to get rid of the page? Is there a webflow bug? As when you select ‘exclude page from site search results’ it should be removed?

When Google (actually all legit crawlers) parses a sitemap then then come back and test each link. If the page is blocked by robots.txt or meta noindex instructions to not index the page they won’t. So the fact that an entry exists in the sitemap is really a non issue overall.

I’ve added the code, but it still showing in sitemap and when I link to that page it is still working…

What you are doing is telling robot crawlers not to index this page. That is all. It does not make the page invisible.

Ah so how do I get rid of the page… I don’t need it and don’t want it to show… it was built in the template I brought… surely I can remove it or unpublish?

The act of adding search to a page auto creates the search result page. Once it is created it is not going away. Truth is no one is going to it without using the search form. Also pPages can be excluded from search results in case they tripped over it. Maybe Webflow has a hidden switch they can toggle for you. Reach out to support.