Need honest opinion - Is webflow good for larger sites?

Yes, I am using Muse correctly. I am using styles. The issue is if you change the font size, using styles, your entire layout can change. Items above, below, and to the sides of the text don’t move when you change the size of fonts and can easily ruin a layout.

A simple example, say you have several links above a one pixel line. If you increase the font size the font will move over the line instead of the line moving down as it should. Basically this is the major downside of pixel perfect layout. Oh yeah, and a few hundred extra div tags. :wink:

If you have a complex layout Muse can be a nightmare.

-Brian

Please keep in mind I already have an ecommerce solution. That’s not my issue or problem. My main concern is finding a visual designer that can handle 200+ pages. There’s no way around the fact most Webflow sites are either one page sites or micro sites with a few pages. So far I found one site over 20 pages. Not a knock against Webflow simply an observation. As long as there is no particular reason this is the case it should not matter.

So far I really like Webflow. I don’t anticipate the software slowing down at all with a couple hundred pages, as Muse does.

-Brian

Actually there are a lot of sites with huge amounts of pages on Webflow. They just tend to not be released publicly for the Webflow community to see (due to copyright, etc.) but they are there. :wink:

The capabilities of the platform have nothing to do with the amount of pages a website has. It’s more then capable of handling hundreds of pages, as it’s designed to do just that.

When a site is built, white labeled and deployed you won’t know that its built with Webflow unless you inspect some specific libraries and classes. Devs can take it one step further and strip away all references to Webflow and replace it with their own specific branding, classes and identifiers.

This is just poor planning in the design phase of the project, but can be easily handled by using proper alignment and distribution rules and key objects for alignment and spacing. Now with responsive options it makes it even easier to adjust things on the fly. That being said, Muse is a nightmare compared to Webflow.

I never said or insinuated it was not capable of creating large sites. I was just pointing out my observations based on the templates and user sites posted. And, yes, question has been answered. Appreciate the feedback.

-Brian

Those items do help but it does not change the fact that small changes (such as font size) require a multitude of small tweaks afterwards. As an example, I had forty product images on a catalog page. I then needed to change the image size after the fact. I had to reload the images and then align each row vertically and horizontally and every element below and above the main section. In Webflow I changed some CSS and was done in about 5 seconds. I agree, its a nightmare to work with.

@Bghead8che I don’t know why it would take 200+ pages for your ecommerce site? I’ve just finished experimenting with collection templates within Webflow and I just have the front page which could be your featured, sales and best selling products page and a click through page which would have the product images, title, price and description as well as a form to collect information such as sizes and so on…

Wouldn’t this make more sense to use the dynamic side of Webflow? Just a thought.

My site if you want to take a look is:
http://elegant-commerce.webflow.io

1 Like

Hi,

You could try front end design in Webflow and export to Adobe Business Catalyst.
Search forum for more info about using Webflow and Business Catalyst.

René

Not sure why it’s getting so testy in this thread.

Anyway. I believe someone mentioned symbols, which are a template-type element and would certainly solve the problem of having to change verbiage or elements that are the same across the totality of your site. Apart from that, there is no reason Webflow could not be used to create websites of basically any size. With the proper planning and execution, I believe it would be comparable in speed to any other process you might use, and faster than many of them.

Please look at Webflow’s “collection templates” feature.

I’ve just looked at your website again and have identified 16 pages which would need to be templated which includes the index page, the product page with attached collection template > click through product page, news and promos, faqs, sales policies, contact us, search, view cart, purity and quality, awards and freshness and quality guarantee page.

Maybe you should have a rethink as to how to execute your ecommerce store using Webflow?

1 Like

I strongly disagree. Webflow is absolutely suitable for sites over 200 pages, especially using the CMS. I know for a fact it can handle 500+ pages using the cms without breaking a sweat. It sounds like you are simply trying to advertise your own platform or something.

2 Likes

Below is a screenshot of http://help.webflow.com 's Dynamic Collections. We build everything inside of Webflow just like everyone else in this community. Our Help Center has more than 200 pages/items:

Also, I would like to mention that everyone’s sites are hosted on Fastly.com CDN. This is the same server that is used for The Guardian: Guardian : Case Study

If they can handle that site, they can easily handle yours.

6 Likes

nice rings, but make the images 100% size pngs and then drop into tinypng.com, it’ll speed up your loads no end.

2 Likes

@Bghead8che Did you proceed with building your site in Webflow? It seems the only blocker for you is that you haven’t seen enough sites with the same number of pages as you, so please look at http://thewishdish.com. This website has over 400 pages and was built completely in Webflow using the CMS.

In case it hasn’t been made explicitly clear to you, you should leverage the power of the Webflow CMS feature as well as the Webflow Symbols feature to easily accomplish everything you’re asking out of webflow.

Adding pages to the Webflow CMS is as easy as adding entires to an excel sheet. As for Symbols, they’re like copy and paste across your site - any changes made to a Symbol will be reflected across all your pages. I’d barter that Webflow could seamlessly support a site with 10,000+ pages.

As for e-commerce concerns, there are tons of plugins that can be embedded using the Webflow Custom Code or Webflow Embed features.

Hopefully it’s been made completely clear to anyone reading this who is on the fence about Webflow that it is the best solution for a web project of any size.

Best,
Christopher

2 Likes

thanks, I did this and it makes a MASSSSSSSIVE difference. I wish Webflow had compression like this built in, especially for ‘thumbnail image’ fields.

Do you know who made this site, or how they integrated that search feature?!

Great. Glad my advice was helpful.

1 Like

I made that site in webflow for a client. The client then exported the site and ported it to Wordpress where they added a search plugin.