New elements are placed randomly in the Navigator

Dear Webflow Team!
If I may make a suggestion. In earlier versions of Webflow, one would select a div in the Navigator and add an element which would automatically be made a child of the selected div. As of late, I’ve noticed that even though I select an element in the Navigator, new elements are placed randomly in the Navigator structure.

Is this intentional? If not, I´m probably not the first person to point to this strange new behaviour.

This notwithstanding, keep up the awesome work!

Here is my site Read-Only: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/b2bleads?utm_source=b2bleads&preview=d747141ffa72c03ad4eca3b4f526a524

Preview: http://b2bleads.webflow.io/de/visitoranalytics

Hi @Scotty :wave:

This does sound a little strange and I’ll be really happy to take a look further into this :+1:

Would you be able to share a screencast of the behaviour that you’re seeing? Or describe the steps you’re taking to see the new elements that are being added. That way I can reproduce the steps and then hopefully work towards a solution for you. Currently, I’m not able to see this behaviour on your preview site.

If you could have the navigator panel open while recording it will allow me to see what is happening.

I use Cloudapp or you can use Screencast-o-matic to create a screencast.

I’ll be standing by for your reply :slight_smile:

Hi Mark, please view here:

Hi @Scotty There is nothing there :grimacing:

Hi Mark,

Please try again with this link:

https://we.tl/t-EaPq98GR1P

The file‘s name is preview.mov

Best, Scott

Thanks for the video, it’s very helpful.

That is weird, although I cannot replicate the behaviour. I believe the expected behaviour is that if the element is given a class name, the added element should become a child of said element. If no class is given, it seems it becomes a sibling.

What operating system and browser are you using? I will see if it’s specific to that setup.

In the meantime, the workaround is to drag the element into the navigator panel or directly onto the canvas from the add panel. This will ensure the correct placement of the element for the time being.

CloudApp

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick response.

OS is macOS Mohave 10.14
Browser is Safari 12.0

Just a guess, but I think the behaviour changed with the update to Mohave, if that makes any sense.

In Addition, if there is a section in the Navigator and I select Body and then add a section via double-click, Webflow attempts to insert the new section into the already existing section resulting in the error message “Section elements can not be nested inside each other”. Until recently the new section would be placed at the bottom of the Navigator structure.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you so much for helping me narrow this down :raised_hands: It seems to be a Safari :bug: .

I’ll write up an issue and report it to the team.

So the workaround for now is mentioned in my previous post, or you can use Chrome where it doesn’t seem to be an issue.

I’ll keep you posted once a fix is pushed for this :smiley:

Thanks a million! Keep up the great work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.