New feature: Rich Media embeds in the Rich Text Editor

Hi all,

I’m excited to announce new and enhanced functionality for embedding content in the rich text editor :boom: :sparkles:

We’ve added support for a bunch of services, but here’s a few of the most popular:

• YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • DailyMotion
  • KickStarter (we’ll find the main campaign video associated with the campaign url)
  • TED (multilingual support)
  • Wistia
  • Ustream
  • Livestream
  • Twitch
  • Tudou
  • Hulu

Just click the video button and paste in the URL.

We’ve also added a new “rich media” button to let you embed:

• Imgur albums (we’ll embed Imgur’s iframe gallery)
  • Google maps
  • JSFiddle fiddles
  • Scribd books
  • SlideShare presentations
  • Vines
  • Giphy GIFs
  • SoundCloud audio

We’ve also enhanced YouTube, Vimeo, and Dailymotion video support so you can set custom start times. Plus, all our video and rich media embeds in the rich text editor will respect the aspect ratio of the content.

You and your CMS-using clients will also notice a smoother experience working with rich text embeds.

Enjoy!

22 Likes

This is the wonderful news that many are looking forward to!

3 Likes

What a great alternative solution to the embed tag. Good job guys and thank you for this!

Just keeps getting better and better! :+1:

A post was split to a new topic: How to embed a YouTube Video with a custom start time

Oh no, does it only show cat videos?

8 Likes

Very excited to try this out.

Does anyone know if there is an advantage to posting a YouTube link using this method verses the video widget that’s been here?

Will imgur work with private albums?

Please add support for ispringcloud.com - this will allow sharing powerpoint presentations with video content. islideshare cannot do video.

My clients are going to be unbelievably happy!! Thanks so much!! :grinning:

2 Likes

Also, is support for Embedly still coming?

1 Like

1 Like

@Hywel
That’s a great question, I wasn’t able to find any non-cat related videos on the internet during development, but if you manage to find one please let us know if it works!

@904TECHNOLOGY
I believe you need to publish an imgur album for it to be visible to our api.

@Michael_Cumming @rileyrichter
The rich-text rich media embed functionality uses embed.ly under the hood, but it’s constrained to content that either embed.ly or the service itself supports an iframe widget for.

Unfortunately for now there are some services that use html/script tags instead of iframes for their embeds, while there are plans to add a custom embed code feature to rich text editor at some point in the future you’ll need to use the the Embed element in the Add Element panel until then.

2 Likes

Thank you, sir! I’m so excited about this!

@YoavGivati, is there a way to do this using the CMS system? I am using ispringcloud for doing blog posts of powerpoint presentations. ispringcloud is the only powerpoint service that works with embedded video.

mike

1 Like

Very excited to try this out too.
Thank you so much for your great job !

Not yet, but stay tuned.

Awesome! Good jobs guys.

All this is great, but what would be best would be if you could incorporate all current embeds first within the CMS, such as all functionality with images, notably lightboxes, before adding lots of new stuff.