Not able to edit master symbol?

I’m double clicking into the master symbol like I have in the past to edit it, but when I try to duplicate one of the items with alt-drag I get the error:

“This element can’t be moved.”

When I select the inline text link in the Navigator and copy/paste it to duplicate it, I get the error:

Copy: “Cannot copy root symbol.”
Paste: “The clipboard is empty.”

Any idea what could be causing this?

Am I the only experiencing this issue?

It’s not an error, it’s how devs set it up. Don’t double-click on the symbol. If you single-click, you’ll see the symbol will have the cube icon next to it; that is moveable symbol.

Also, you don’t need to Copy/Paste. You can add the symbol via Add Elements (A) > Symbols.

Let me know if that helps.

I don’t want to move it. I just want to duplicate an inline link in the master symbol. Double clicking is how I edit the master. The link is an object, so why can’t I just duplicate it? I can’t do so by editing the text? Now I edited the text, but have an extra link that goes nowhere and I can’t delete it. How do I delete objects in symbols?

Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but the way it works is plain unintuitive from UX perspective, when I delete or copy all other objects outside of symbols.

Symbols are pretty intuitive in my opinion so I’m curious if it happens to be a bug. Are you able to share your read-only link? I’d be happy to take a look at it on my end to see if I experience the same problems.

Yes, that’s why I think it might be a bug. I don’t ever remember ever having this issue and I generally find Webflow intuitive. I can DM you the read-only link if that helps.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.