Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Notes From Building My First Site Within Webflow: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

After building my first website in Webflow, I want to share my findings, good, bad or ugly. In general it’s a big GOOD but there are some things that I think could be implemented better.

The site has already been built (hand coded) for Wordpress, I wanted to check to see if I could build the site in Webflow and if so, how Webflow could help me speed up my process, and the good new is… yes. Enough said!

It’s not finished yet, but I pretty much got 90% of the (27 page) site done within a day or so! It’s a multilingual site so will see how long it will take me to add the other languages.

There are bugs / issues & waiting for content (& client approval) then I can share the site with you all & create a YouTube video of the breakdown and my workflow but for now…

Hope it helps some people :slight_smile:

- To be able to not publish certain pages
- I have setup a Global Styles and Templates Page but these should not be published
- Nested Symbols, this is self explanatory
- Better / More breakpoints
- Sometimes using just the standard ones are not enough
- Need more than 100 pages limit on Pro accounts
- This is a no brainer, My first site is already 30 pages, so if the client wants to expand on this we’re screwed! Or we’ll just have to move over to host the site away from Webflow.
- The issue with this is that Webflow has created a fantastic product that has, what I feel, silly limits that should just not exist for such a product
- Please can we have a mood-board / style pages
- See below for my explanation, but this would help immensely for an overview of the site, rather than checking the classes
- Better URL structure for the CMS
- What I mean by this is: So I created a Blog page but now every Post has a URL of /posts/post-page we need the ability to remove the /posts from the URL so it’s just

- Flex-box just doesn’t seem to work on iOS
- I have tried all sorts of things, maybe I’m doing it wrong, but even checking the forums and watching videos that @PixelGeek has created I just can not get it doing what it should, hence in the Bugs section, but I will investigate more.
- I can't figure out why is I place any interaction on an element the whole page disappears
- Granted this might be just me, but I can't find out what I’m doing wrong, hence it’s in the Bugs section
- Elements with padding often expand past the parent
- Ok, so I have created a custom navigation, the links are all within a DIV with padding and a Link Block is associated this them. This isn’t really an issues with desktop but on iOS when you click the link the element looks like it’s bleeding outside of the parent element. So it’s not pixel perfect and my OCD / perfectionism is giving me a headache! :wink:

I now have permission to share the site...

Dev link:

Share link:

My Workflow
- Created a Global Styles page so I can setup all my headings, buttons that do not require them to be a symbol
- Created a Templates page for easy page building
- Instead of Flex-box I have created DIVs with paddings and called the Blocks 3, Blocks 4 etc. then their Sub Classes as Block 3-1, Block 3-2 etc then they can be styles to show up in the right places

I’m not a designer, just a developer that was asked by a friend to be part of a new design studio collective called The Odd Bunch (

If Webflow works out for a few of my / our clients, I can se me moving all my Dev. to the platform, but right now I have to learn more…

Some images

My Global Pages

The way I've setup my blocks instead of using Flex-box

Blocks setup with it's sub class, it's all in the padding :wink:

Hi you can register here and use your 15 votes to vote for features you'd like to see considered in priority.

Thanks Vincent,

I did that already for some, then run out of votes :wink:

When I see some of the things that webflow still doesn't do, that are quite normal on other platforms it's hard to believe they still think 15 bucks a month for basic hosting is ok.

Understood and [kinda] agree but as a platform it's pretty good.

Like all software there are always bugs, I'm just waiting to see how quick (or slow) said bugs or lack of feature will be implemented.

The projects I plan to use this platform for (at the moment) don't require the bells and whistles of me spending time on another platform.

Just curious but which platforms do you speak of?

Apologies, platforms so to speak was the wrong word.

I want a shop, build me one - I can't! Shopify can and its about the same price.

Can you upload my order form to the site - I can't! Seriously?! Yeah seriously; but I can add a nice bit of padding to your site. And!!!!

I need a search functionality - I can't! Seriously!! Yeah seriously!

Among others! Basic stuff and we can't do it.

Thanks Ava & glad you liked the post.

I plan to make a video after the site is finish/live as to how I build the site, the shortcomings (not many) and why I choose it to develop my site form now on.

It's a great tool, and that's the point, it's a tool and not all tools fit everyone. But I'm really loving the simplicity of Webflow right now!

I just hope some of the issues I've found and some more feature will be added soon.

I do Stan. Thank you.

My points remain.

I really like your idea of creating a global styles page especially when you're dealing with a large site. I'm curious to find out about any work around regarding the publishing issue, will check back.

Great example, bro! As a designer, I always try to get developer's thinking. It's much more constructive then designers "playfulness". With Webflow both worlds become integrated, yet there is so much to learn... Thank you for you sharing! Waiting for the video to come...

Thanks for all the awesome feedback! Most of it is stuff I constantly run into myself.

Flex-box just doesn’t seem to work on iOS

Yeah Safari's flexbox implementation is old and one of the main ways it breaks is if you set the stacking direction to be vertical (technically direction column). If I want my flexbox layouts to stack vertically, on mobile especially, I just set it to display: block.

Hey Sergie,

Glad I'm not the only one :wink:

I will try out the flexbox feature again and see how it goes. I just got around it by using DIVs so all is cool for me :nerd::+1:

Ok, so now I have permission to post the URL of the site I'm building...

Dev link:

Share link:

As I explained before, I didn't use the flexbox due to it being buggy on iOS so came up with floating DIVs with padding/margins.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Ok. Newbie here. Seems like I keep reading that Flexbox is the way to go over columns. Now it seems you are nonchalantly stating that Flexbox doesn't work for iOS. Did I miss this somewhere in the tutorials? What you described is exactly what I need to do with mobile. You answer might be easy for you, but I don't know what you mean concerning your solution to the problem.

Hi @jtk If you take a look at this site:

then click on the Known Bugs tab at the bottom, you'll see that there is a small bug with Safari which can be fixed with using display:block and setting a height.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Oh interesting, didn't know about this, will check it out.

So after you change to vertical, you take the parent container out of flex to block?

If you want a shop then Webflow is not the answer, Shopify does the job much better, but then we all know that, so no biggy. You can link products from Shopify to a Webflow site - a pretty cool alternative if you don't like the Shopify templates.
Not sure what you mean 'upload my order'. You can embed any form from anywhere - JotForm, Google forms, Typeform etc - or use the built-in form. Can't help you there.
Search? Yes, it does, look it up.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.