Opinions on UX and overall design

Hi everybody,

I posted a much earlier version of the site a few months ago. Lots has changed and I would love your feedback. What do you like about the UX and overall design, what would you improve?

GeekWrapped.com

I also build many category pages, see here: Shop Geek Gifts by Interest

And finally, specific topics e.g
Telescope Buying Guide
Drones
3D Printers

Thanks so much for your help and for sharing your opinion. This website is a labor of love so it means a lot :smile:

PS: This wouldnā€™t be possible without Webflow, you guys rock!

Itā€™s a cool site - did you handpick all the items? theyā€™re brilliant!

i really like how the info is laid out - very easy to read and well written - for example the telescopes - i like how the three types are explained and then the various characteristics with the icons for each telescope.

iā€™d like to have a sticky nav bar across the top. iā€™d also like more categories - i really like the drone and telescope category - maybe a drop down with other popular categories in the nav bar. you could also have a total category listing page - and you could put this category listing in the footer also.

i donā€™t like all the social share icons down the right or on the product images but thatā€™s a personal thing.

the home page has too much on it - itā€™s ridiculously long - quite overwhelmingly for me. maybe you could have popular products and categorise everything else. if people want to view all products on a page, give them that option but maybe donā€™t land them on it.

with regard to the design itself - i like itā€™s simplicity - but to me it looks a small bit dated.

• I think you could make use of coloured backgrounds/white text to section some of the pages better
  • The product blocks on the homepage could be improved - iā€™d remove the padding so the button and image stretch to the edges . iā€™d move the name below the image and use a different font for the product name - and iā€™d remove the link to the amazon page on the header text - and a colour more definite (maybe white) than the light blue background.
  • iā€™d lose all the rounded edges on the blocks and buttons - keep it sharper and edgier - i think itā€™d fit the site better.

overall, itā€™s a cool site - iā€™ve saved it for gift ideas for the future! with a bit of tweaking, i think it could be great!

best of luck

1 Like

This certainly is an interesting site and is quite easy to use.

The only issue I can think of is that in mobile view, the AddThis bar bleeds onto the nav menu.

1 Like

Hello Diarmuid,

Thank you very much for your smart feedback., really appreciate it!

To answer your question, yes I handpick all products on GeekWrapped to make sure they are high quality and have good online reviews. My goal is to get more people excited about science and technology and I think fun gift ideas are a very organic way to do that :grinning:

What do you mean with ā€œsticky nav bar across the topā€ please? Do you mean that it moves with the scrolling window (fixed)?

Also, you mentioned more categories would be good, can you elaborate what youā€™d like?

Thanks again for your help!

Hi,

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

I adjusted the mobile menu, does it work for you now?
Can I ask: Which device and browser are you using? The AddThis bar should be on the BOTTOM for mobile, strangeā€¦

Thanks!

Much better, and the device/browser I am using is an extension for responsive web design viewing, and so the image I took was from an iPhone 6s Plus - Portrait layout.

1 Like

Hi @webdes, I have always enjoyed looking at your site :slight_smile: I think this is an absolute must:

Just sayingā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much. Iā€™ve put a lot of work and love into the site, so your friendly words really mean a lot! :grinning:
Would love it if you help spread the word and tell friends about it, thanks!

PS: Yeah, that jacket is crazy cool.

Awesome, thanks! Really appreciate your feeedback.

Nice collection but you are loading a lot of content at once and this is bad for people with a data plan.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Antonio. Iā€™ve added a lazy load plugin that loads the pictures only when the user scrolls down, so the page load is (somewhat) quick. Did it load slow for you on mobile over a data connection? Thanks