Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Parent element taking style from child

I’m having trouble with something on webflow for a while and I decided to ask you guys to help me understanding how this works. As far as I’m aware, the styles we set should cascade down (parent->child), but for me is happening the opposite on this case. This is the scenario: I wanna create a 100 vh hero section with a div box with margin on all 4 sides within it. I set the margin on the div (child) but it pushes the margin of the hero section also, moving everything with it. As far as I understand the margin set on the child element should be relative to the parent and should not affect the parent. I don’t know if I was clear, but I don’t understand why this is happening or if i’m doing something wrong. My goal is to create a hero section similar to this:

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

You could have collapsing margins. It took me a while to understand this too. Look up collapsing margins online and you’ll get some interesting articles on (Adjacent Elements).

Try increasing the outer element’s margin to 5 or something noticeable. Then remove the inner elements margin all together. See how that flows on the page.

I assume you are using 100% for the child element and that pushes the margins off screen, right? Just use padding on the parent and you’ll be all set.

This topic was automatically closed 125 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.