Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Preview Toggle Locks-Up In Safari

When I use the "Preview" toggle on a page it very often (more than 50% of the time) locks up and I have to refresh the page to get out of "Preview".

Safari: Version 10.0.1 (12602.2.14.0.7)
Sierra: Version 10.12.1

Hi @mpukita
I guess you should switch to Chrome when you design on Webflow it works very well on it.

Can you please send me the following so I can take a closer look?
• Description of what you're experiencing (include names of site, pages, elements, classes, interactions, etc)
• Examples of what you're experiencing (Screenshots of issue: http://help.webflow.com/faq/how-do-you-take-screenshots or (even better) a GIF taken with LiceCap: http://www.cockos.com/licecap/ - Make sure to show the whole screen for context)

Hi. I'm experiencing the same problem than @mpukita. I have had problems getting back to editing mode from preview mode. If I just click preview on and off, it works, but if I navigate on the site in preview mode, toggle preview does not function anymore and I have to refresh the page to get back to editing mode. When refreshing, I get a message “Do you want to reload this site? Changes you made may not be saved.” even it is not possible to make changes in preview mode. Doesn't seem to be Safari problem, since I'm using up-to-date Chrome.

Browser: Chrome Version 55.0.2883.95 (64-bit)
Device: MacBook Pro with OSX El Capitan version 10.11.6 (15G1212)

Steps:
1. Open a design in Designer (my design uses Newport design template)
2. Toggle preview
3. Navigate to other page or click any link in preview mode
4. Toggle preview -link (eye symbol on top of the page) does not get me back to designer mode
5. Getting back to designer mode requires reloading the site

Hi, I just experienced the same thing, where I could not get out of Preview in Chrome, without navigating or anything, had to reload.

But I also want to report that for a while now, probably months, the Preview shortcut stopped working correctly for me. It's not quite responsive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have to leave the keys pressed for a short while for it to respond, it doesn't work as smooth as it used to do. Is anyone else getting the same thing?

Having it stuck on preview was not a surprise. Using the toggle button still didn't work.

Hi @davidvm @smallcaps and @mpukita

We deployed a fix for this issue. Can you please take a look on your end to see if everything is working as expected?

@davidvm can you please try to test this in Chrome using incognito mode with all extensions turned off? There is a chance that a Chrome Extension is causing this issue for you.

Thanks in advance, I am standing by for your reply. :slight_smile:

Hi @Brando! Problem seems to be solved, at least for my part. Thanks for helping! :raised_hands:

Thanks @Brando, keyboard shortcut seems quite responsive again on a regular Chrome session. I'll test in incognito and let you know if I get the issue again. Thanks for the fix.

Great to hear @smallcaps and @davidvm :slight_smile:

Keep us updated on any other issues you encounter!

Hey @Brando, I've also noticed that preview shortcut or button won't respond while changes are being saved. After doing some changes is exactly when I want to preview, and I have to wait a short while every time because of this. It seems some other things also freeze while saving. At least this is what I get on my chromebook.

@Brando,

I'll chime in here and say that I also experience this issue of preview being regularly unresponsive. My symptoms are very similar to @davidvm.
Additionally, in tablet and mobile viewports where the mobile Nav kicks in... yeah, that Never, ever opens while in preview. This is true of Chrome and Safari Designer environments, as of this morning, and going back over the past 2 weeks. Is that by design?

Thanks,

• Derek

Ps. Yes, I've also opened and worked with the browser in a fresh incognito window. Seemingly no difference.

Hi @davidvm and @Derek_vdS

As you mentioned the delay occurs while the Designer is saving the changes you made. Here is a GIF showing the status of the Designer's autosave feature.

Once changes are fully saved, Preview Mode should work as expected. You can also CMD + S (CTRL + S for windows) to save instantly.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks @Brando, that's a shame, work pace and flow gets interrupted because of this. On the site I'm currently working on, saving may even take 20-30 seconds, every single time, it's quite obtrusive. Does it has to interfere with other functions? Could it be done in the background, concurrently?

Hi @davidvm,

Does the delay of 20-30 seconds occur even when you save with CMD + S?

​Thanks in advance, and I'm standing by for your reply.

Hey @Brando,

I have CTRL + S assigned to another app, so I don't use it on WF, but will give it a try, though. However, the issue is that Webflow autosaves immediately after every single change, and takes some time to do it, making it too difficult to work waiting for preview to be available. It's too intrusive. Can it not be done like in the background, without interrupting other functions? I'm constantly previewing after doing changes, and this makes it a real pain to work smoothly. For example when working with interactions, you want to be constantly checking what a small change does, and it's not possible to work quick enough with this constant waiting for preview to be available.

The saving process does not prevent elements from being changed in the designer, or showing those changes in preview mode. All changes are made immediately, but may experience a delay in saving those changes. So you can see all changes made immediately, but if you were to close the designer before the save is complete those changes would be lost.

You can also use the preview button when working with interactions to see the updates you've made.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.