Questions about collections (linking to regular pages and design options)

So i’m having a few problems with CMS and collections…I’m a bit of a noob so please tell me if i’m doing anything drastically wrong.

I’m making a portfolio website using CMS, but I want each project to link to a unique page, as opposed to the generated collection page. This is because I want to put unique elements on each page, but I’m not sure if I can do that on the collection page, without changing the rest of the pages. I also need one of the pages to be password protected, and I don’t know if i’m able to password protect one item from the collection.

Is there a way to have each collection item link to a different page in webflow?

I’ve already built up a lot of the animations and stuff with the CMS involved, and it would be a real bummer if I have to start over without the collection and do it all again, but :man_shrugging:

Here’s my share link - thanks so much for the help.

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/jahan-portfolio?utm_source=jahan-portfolio&preview=bbec44e9e7ee3d74cdade2b92aefce10

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

Hi jtahh,

It will depend on how exactly you want to customise each project page of course, but one thing to try could be using conditional visibility to show and hide different sections, dependant on wether you want them to appear on the page or not. The dynamic style settings may also give you the flexibility you are looking for.

I did my portfolio website www.gillianmoran.com using collections and i think it worked quite well. I used the dynamic style settings to change the feature colour for each case study, and show and hide the image and content boxes based on if the field has been filled out in the CMS.

Thanks Gillian!

I’ll have a little play around with the things you mentioned, I’m learning as I go, so I appreciate the pointers in the right direction.

Love your site!

You would link to ‘current project’ but it seems you’ve figured that out since posting?

Hey Sarah,

Linking to ‘current project’ would take me to the project page generated by the CMS, whereas I want to link to a unique page that I’ve just created normally :slight_smile:

I’ve figured a workaround where I duplicate the collection list 6 times and only show each number, I can then add a unique link to each link block, without it applying to each one.

ah, okay, yeah, you could just add a link to that exact page Fastest Web Hosting Services | Buy High Quality Hosting . Good that you’ve found a workaround

That was what I was originally trying to do, but I wasn’t sure how to add a link to one collection list item without it adding the same link to every other item :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help though :smile:

I came up with another option in case someone wants to do this in the future.
The solution’s pretty obvious once you’ve thought of it! You’ve just got to add a ‘link’ field to your cms collection. Same way you’d link someone’s email address/facebook profile etc.
That way you can reference the field and each collection item would pull the right link in :tada:

2 Likes

thank you from the future Sarah. :wink: