Recommended Macbook?

Hey webflow’ers,
I’m upgrading my current workstations. At the office, I’m using an older macbook docked to a cinema display, and then at home office I have a mac mini connected to another display.

I’m going to want an iMac for the office and have a newer Macbook to design on the go/presentations. I’ll use this at home also. The Macbook will need to be close to perf of the iMac. (I’m familiar with all of their hardware specs)

So, knowing my needs, wondering if:

a) I can sacrifice the storage space on the Macbook to a smaller 256GB-ish ssd and just carry a nice slim external drive around, and use an iMac with a larger fusion drive perhaps.

b) I’d be looking for a 15" Macbook, and I’ve had good experience buying from macofalltrades – however, looking for a newer 15" macbook with 16gb ram and a 256gb is hard to get. (And I don’t have the budget for a brand new one of that caliber)

Basically, I’ll often times need to design on the Macbook with just the laptop screen, so I will want a 15" version, but will also work from the iMac.
Currently, I’m using Google Drive to just sync what I need, and that 30gb storage meets my needs pretty well.

Any thoughts ?

Or perhaps discuss what your workstations are made up of ? (Especially if you’re the type to work from at least two different machines)

Thanks !

1 Like

If Apple announces any updates to the MacBook Pro line on Monday at WWDC, then you will see better pricing on the current lineup and refurbs. No guarantees there will be any updates though. I’m :crossed_fingers: for a processor bump and improved keyboard reliability since my Late 2015 15" MacBook Pro (although working great) is nearing its EOL.

Ooh, good point. Didn’t know the WWDC was Monday! I’ll definitely wait then. Apple’s own refurb site has great deals also, so to your point, they’ll either have some good refurb deals after Monday or their “older” models will drop.

Feeling excited

One thing that I’ve heard very bad reviews on though, is the macbook with the touchbar, the keyboard layout is changed. That is a deal breaker for me.

For as I know though, they still offer the macbook non-touchbar version.

P.S… that Macbook I referenced I’m using now… it’s a 13" 2010 model, Core 2 Duo proc… so yea. Beyond it’s life :slight_smile:

That is why I’m hoping for an updated keyboard. I’m not picky about the “feel” or “clackiness” of the keys. However I live abroad nowhere near an Apple store and can’t easily or affordably get things fixed with or without AppleCare. Even if they update the keyboard, don’t expect them to apologize or admit it was faulty. Although recent evidence shows that the issue isn’t as bad as the news might suggest. It’s just that when the keyboard does go bad, they seem to go really badly.

The touch bar is a neat demo, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy a model with it. If there is going to be a 15" without touchbar that would be a good addition to the line.

My wife has one and I’ve pressed refresh on accident on that thing while working in Webflow multiple times. :grimacing:

1 Like

:laughing: That’s funny. Good thing Webflow autosaves!

Im using a 2016 macbook 15" (bought end 2017) and will never look back to the time i was using a top of the line gaming laptop for webflow/photoshop. The touchbar is definitely not a make or break feature, its just nice to have for media consumption.
The 3 months i shopped for a new one, B&H had the best prices when it went on sales, and even now the lowest mbp15 2016 (with AMD460) is at 2100 while i paid mine (AMD450) 1800, 7 months ago.
So most probably after the release of an update, and with a back-to-school sales you could get something great 2016-2017.
I also heard that they are planning to release a macbook 13inch? If they put their upgraded ipadpro chip in, it could maybe be worth a look since the benchmarks…

@PixelGeek You can customize it by changing the action or but a blank space on different websites/apps :hugs:. When you are learning to get used to it, it really saves lives :joy::joy:. When open View>customize touchbar.

:hushed: TIL. Thanks :bowing_man:

The MacBook Pro update just hit.

Now Featuring Up to 6-Core Processors and 32GB of Memory, True Tone Display and the Apple T2 Chip

15-Inch MacBook Pro Highlights
6-core Intel Core i7 and Core i9 processors up to 2.9 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.8 GHz
Up to 32GB of DDR4 memory
Powerful Radeon Pro discrete graphics with 4GB of video memory in every configuration
Up to 4TB of SSD storage2
True Tone display technology
Apple T2 Chip
Touch Bar and Touch ID

13-Inch MacBook Pro Highlights
Quad-core Intel Core i5 and i7 processors up to 2.7 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.5 GHz and double the eDRAM
Intel Iris Plus integrated graphics 655 with 128MB of eDRAM
Up to 2TB of SSD storage2
True Tone display technology
Apple T2 Chip
Touch Bar and Touch ID

1 Like

Nice. Too bad I bought my 15” current edition about 6 weeks ago now. Oh well it still is a beast.

Now I’m just waiting for new iMac models to be released. That I can definitely wait for.

Officially there’s a 14-day return policy, but I’ve heard/read that if it’s within 60 days of purchase and an updated model is release you might get a store manager to help you exchange for the new model.

When I worked for a co. with an Apple corporate account, I would just show up to the Apple Store appointment and they’ll be super helpful and accommodating within the leeway that Apple Inc gives them as managers.

If you want to give it a shot…

Thanks.

I’ll check.

Yep the old touch bar isn’t very handy in clamshell mode. But I had to go that model for the specs and ports.

Those new specs look good. Damn! I bought mine 8 weeks ago. At least it was 2/3rds retail value on ebay!

Now affinity designer is on ipad, it is time for a 12.9 ipad pro. Photos and vector edits on desktop are history for my tasks.

If you like Affinity apps, then you might want to sign up for the Publisher beta.

I recently switched fully over from Adobe to Affinity Designer/Photo and Pixelmator Pro. Been using them off/on for a couple years, but need to get to that point where everything is a reflex. Got any good learning resources that you’d recommend?

I am slowly learning and need to put more time in. I have the affinity designer workbook, but it is so hard to beat youtube as you know!

So, what Macbook do you guys use? I need to update mine.

I recommend the best one you can afford. Personally I think 16GB is the smallest amount of RAM a developer should probably use. Get Apple silicon and it really won’t matter which CPU you get (M1/M2). It would if you deal with lots of video / photo editing tasks. Screen size is probably an issue as well. The new MacBook Air is now available in a 15" and should be able to check all your boxes. Good luck.

Personally I found that Webflow doesn’t like 13 inch screens like the air m1. But the new slightly bigger m2 MacBook Air is actually fantastic. But if you want a larger screen, the 15 inch is the best bang for your buck. You may wanna wait though as m3 may be out in the next 6 months.

Oh also always get through the edu site to save 15%