Reference Collection text field doesn't display

Hey guys,

I have 2 CMS collections - Blog posts and Categories.

On my page, when I link a text field to the Blog post Collection text field, it works fine :

But when I link the same text field to the Reference Categories name, the text disappears.

Here is the read-only link: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/mogiguerephotography?utm_source=mogiguerephotography&preview=81223f6eab3d4ba0a8c581737ad71260

Any idea why?

Cheers!
Marc

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Hey @Marc-Olivier_Giguere

Please share your read only link when possible so that you can receive better assistance. Thanks in advance.

Yes, sorry about that. Just uploaded it.
Cheers!

What page and section is this on… I have time now, I can take a look if you want.

Thanks for your time Gary. It’s under Infos=> Blog.

Yep, you have to pick the Category dropdown in each Collection “Item”, otherwise it has nothing to show :smile:

Also:

1. Remember, if you import a CSV, the database will show that all the data imported. But look carefully, and you’ll notice it actually can’t bring that field in because it’s a reference.

2. Which is exactly that, a “reference” to field that actually doesn’t exist - yet.

3. It’s the only field that we have to manually enter after each import.

4. Of course, I couldn’t do a video or actually show you because it’s read-only.

See ya.

2 Likes

Hello Gary,

As you can see from the second screenshot, the Category Field is well connected to the other Collection. There no CSV import in this case. The dark grey arrows in the drop down means that these fields are referenced to another collection.

Back to square one.

Hi @Marc-Olivier_Giguere

Can you re-publish your read only link please and I’ll take a look.

Hi MagicMark,

I updated my link. Am I the only one having this weird behaviour? I tried on another new project and got the same weird thing. Any referenced field disappears when selected. You can create a new page and add a Blog posts collection and a Category collection. You then create a Category field in the blog posts collection and reference the Category name field. Once on the page, insert a text div and select referenced Category name. It disappears.

Hi @Marc-Olivier_Giguere

In your project, you haven’t selected the category in any of your blog posts. Choose the category in the reference field and the information you’re asking the designer to produce will appear. :smiley: (actually exactly what @garymichael1313 said earlier :smiley: )

If you select the category in each blog post and you’re still having the issue, please save the read only link with the categories selected and let me take another look.

CloudApp

2 Likes

Oh boy… I totally missed that connection since I thought I had connected it in the template. Now, I feel bad… A thousand thanks my friend!!! How much do i owe you??

You guys rock! Keep up the good work and thanks for your help!

Things like this are so easily missed, especially when you’re looking at it over and over again!
You’ll never owe me anything. Just pay it forward when you can, that’s what makes this community special :smiley:

Haha, I said that!! You have to click the reference dropdown and add the field manually because it won’t populate because it’s just a “reference”… :grinning:

1 Like

Indeed, sorry Gary. Misunderstood you. Thanks for you help mate!

1 Like

:wink: Holler anytime… Have Fun!