â–Ľ
Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Removing unpublished changes in the Editor

A client has just contacted me to say that they were using the editor and now have several unpublished changes. When they click on the Unpublished Changes link it shows the changes. However, neither of us can figure out how to remove a change they no longer wish to publish? Please can somebody shed some light?

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

I don’t think you can, at the moment. Changes have to be either published or reverted manually. Maybe you can try to revert to another state after the publish, using the backups from yoursite’s Settings panel.

Thanks Vincent.

So does that mean I would have to try an undo whatever they don’t want published for them through Weblfow? In other words, the client cannot make any mistakes while in the CMS editor as once they have made a change they have no choice but to publish it even if it was an accidental change? Surely that can’t be the case?

It’s not very different from other CMSs. You’re in Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, you add CMS nodes, edit some others… you either have to publish or… it’s already published (there’s often a publish action at node level). Why it’s not evident to allow users to simply ditch one change they’ve made, and that’s listed as a change waiting to publish, is that those changes can be linked. What if you delete a change that has created a node, then the other changes concern edits inside of that node? Not an easy thing to manage.

Depending on the scenario here, there’s easy things to do. Like if your client has created nodes he doesn’t want anymore, ask him to pass it to draft before publishing, then nuke them all at once on your CMS backend. Or he can also do it in his Editor:

Now if he did a lot of edits he doesn’t want anymore, yes he has to go back and change things back. Or ask you to try to revert to another backup.

This is a very distorted truth at best :slight_smile: Changes are listed, the only accident you can make is publishing your mistakes… but before that, you have all the possibilities to go back and revert your changes. At no point are you stuck with the changes you’ve made. Either undo them, draft the nodes, don’t publish until content is fixed or secured offline.

The client can make all the mistakes he wants. he can see before his eyes the resulted content both in a backend way and inline. He can review his changes, make modifications. And ultimately, he can not publish anything and wait for later.

2 Likes

Thanks very much Vincent. Appreciate you taking the time and is a big help.

1 Like