I’ve noticed a Webflow bug on at least 3 occasions when restoring to a previous saved version of my site. Certain links get “broken” and point to an older folder that was password-protected, despite that:
- said folder was renamed a long time ago, certainly before the restore date, and
- those links were not broken on the date we’re supposedly restoring from!
I’m almost positive this is tied to restoring previous versions.
When this happens I have to go through the ENTIRE site and look for broken links, and IT DOESN’T SHOW THEM AS BROKEN IN THE DESIGNER — you can only tell on the live site.
Here are the steps that seemed to have contributed:
- Make site at top level of domain (Webflow-hosted).
- Make links. Some of them are made using (for example) “/privacy” instead of selecting the Privacy page from the dropdown, because the Privacy page has not been made yet! Others are made using the dropdown to select an existing page.
- Move site (all pages) to a folder and password protect it.
- Make tons of changes for weeks. More links, blah blah blah.
- Launch the site by moving all the pages out of the password-protected folder called /a/. Check the links to make sure they all work. They do! (Multiple people checked these btw.)
- Do lots more changes over the next 2 weeks.
- Run into an issue where you need to roll back to a previous version from a couple days before (note: NOT two weeks before).
- Check links. Wtf, some of the links are randomly pointing to “domain.com/a/privacy” when they should be pointing to “domain.com/privacy” (/a/ being the password-protected folder).
- Rapidly check all the links on the site (and discover/fix a seemingly random quantity of broken ones) and hope nobody encountered this while you didn’t notice it.
Also of note: Sometimes these broken links were in a Symbol, often they were not.