Rich Text to HTML for Job Schema

Hi everyone,

Looking for advice/an answer for the following.

I’ve got a website set up that shows Jobs in my area. I’m having a slight issue though as the job description is a rich text field in the CMS, which when pulled through and shown on Google’s search results for the job, the description is all one block (no headings, paragraphs etc). I’m not a coder so this may be super simple, so I’m hoping someone can help me to resolve this issue.

My thoughts are: add new plain text to cms > convert rich text to html (not sure how to do this) > use the new field in cms for the description section in my schema.

If you need any more info please let me know, and thanks for any responses!

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

When a rich text field is rendered on your published site it is in HTML format already. You really have no control over how Google renders the SERP snippet displayed.

Hi @webdev ,

I’m not entirely sure I made my question clear. I understand that Google ultimately has control over what is featured. However what I’m trying to do is make the schema pull through the job description in a format that lays out the text properly, rather than copying and pasting the Job Description into a text field in the CMS where the output looks something similar to this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nunc vitae lobortis ligula. Nullam consectetur, ante et dictum molestie, ante diam tempor lacus, id hendrerit nunc enim ac diam. Suspendisse facilisis massa dictum magna aliquet, eget euismod ante tincidunt. Suspendisse eleifend, magna sit amet tempor viverra, lectus nisl pulvinar turpis, nec tempus diam mauris at leo. Aliquam sagittis erat a felis tincidunt, ac aliquam turpis imperdiet.

Whereas what I want it to do when the Job is shown on Googles Job search feature is:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Consectetur adipiscing elit. Nunc vitae lobortis ligula. Nullam consectetur, ante et dictum molestie, ante diam tempor lacus, id hendrerit nunc enim ac diam.

Suspendisse facilisis massa

Dictum magna aliquet, eget euismod ante tincidunt. Suspendisse eleifend, magna sit amet tempor viverra, lectus nisl pulvinar turpis, nec tempus diam mauris at leo. Aliquam sagittis erat a felis tincidunt, ac aliquam turpis imperdiet.

I’ve attached an image to show how my schema is set up. I’m basically looking for a way to convert rich text (job description) into I think HTML for the formatting to look correct when pulled through to Googles Job feature.

Thanks,

Jake

I just looked at the schema and for description… * The feature recognizes the following HTML tags: <p> , <ul> , and <li> . So what you are looking to go with headings and bold text is not possible.
See Learn About Job Posting Schema Markup | Google Search Central  |  Documentation  |  Google Developers

Hi @webdev - thanks so much for looking into this. I wasn’t necessarily looking for the bold/headings, more so just getting line breaks and readable formatting rather than all the text being in one paragraph. So what you found (the feature only recognising the HTML tags) is actually perfect for me!

Thanks so much!

Hey @jakedoubleu did you find a fix for this? Thanks!