Show data from a multi-reference field in a dynamic list

Hi @x10

Can you supply us with your read-only link?

Thanks in advance :smile:

@PixelGeek it is
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/cdybenko?preview=b6dab2e1ce1c7c403ee93c92ab511b22

It seems like you’ve already figured it out: :smile:

@pixelgeek No I actually haven’t figured it out yet, but hopefully you can help me! :smile: The page you took a screenshot of is currently showing all 4 available Vendor Categories in the CMS (Farm, Grocery Store, Butcher, Restaurant).

For this vendor, I only selected the category of “Farm” so it should only show the Farm category on this page about them.

See the current CMS for this listing:

@x10 I get just the category blog posts selected, not all the categories in the database.

It’s been a while since I did this, but I seem to remember the key was to link the Dynamic Item category filter to Categories (your vendor categories), not blog posts. Yours is linked to the Listings collection, so see what happens it you link it to Vendor Categories instead. That should do the trick.

Here’s mine:

Feel free to look at the set up on the Resources page on my site: Webflow - Leading Beyond Worldwide

It still doesn’t do exactly as I want because each post has multiple categories, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to set links to multi-reference fields. Maybe I’m still missing something…;-0

Hope that helps.

@alzibaba, thanks for contributing, but the example you screenshotted was for a single Reference Category called “Category” that is indeed only a single reference and I don’t need help with it. You also jumped back to the home page dynamic list instead of the Vendor Collection Template page where I have the problem.

I want to filter multiple reference categories in a dynamic list on a Collection Template page.

Your example of home page categories is not what I’m trying to do. But to follow through your example, if you have placed one of your blog posts into both “Leadership” and “Customer Experience” categories, then I’d want to list both of the categories (and only those two categories) at the top of the blog post when you open the post on its own Collection Template page. Just like listing tags at the top of a blog post.

@PixelGeek Any progress on an answer for me for filtering a multi reference on a Collection Template page?

If you are using a Dynamic List Wrapper outside of a Collection Template page, it will display the other collection fields, but not the multi-item reference.

Unfortunately this is a strange and severe limitation. My usecase is that i have a list of items with tags which could be filtered by them by a script. So i have to output tags next to every item in the list, but this cannot be done. So with this limitation any sorting/filtering scripts are impossible.

Hey guys, as long you don’t need cross-referencing, one thing you could try is to use three different single categories fields (you can only add three reference fields to your collection) and have them reference your category-collection. Kind of like this:

‘categories 1’
‘categories 2’
‘categories 3’

Then you pull them above into your dynamic list individually to three individual links.

Drawbacks are:

• you are limited to display three categories
  • thereby you have also exhausted the number of possible reference list items you can feature in that collection.
    → very limited cross-referencing with another collection (but you could still have two category items and one for author…)

On the positive side, if you maximally need to display three categories per post, as I do, this works like a charm :muscle:

Here, have a look: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/chriss-first-site-8299e2?preview=47ebf2c983221a985f2996d1b167bda9

Let me know if this helped.

In the meantime, @PixelGeek, I second the above motions for having dynamic lists display multi-item references outside of collection templates, too. That would be neat!

Lastly, - just to end on a positive note, - this forum has got some really awesome features. Especially displaying a ‘similar to your post’ list while writing is pretty damn sweet. Keep it up!

@x10 Ok, I misunderstood and the link took me to that page. For the moment the only way I’ve seen to do what you want is as others have suggested re assigning up to 3 different categories. I’d like the functionality with multi-reference categories you’re looking for too…

WOWSERS!

FILTER MULIT-REFERENCE ALREADY!

Check out my fun work around… Boohoo.

1 Like

+1 for multi reference fields in dynamic lists please.

I’ve just started my first build using the webflow CMS – so far it’s been great but this is the first wall I’ve hit.

This seemed so obvious that I assumed was doing it wrong for some time. I’m sure there must be considerable technical reasons why webflow guys haven’t implemented this (?) as I think from a user’s point of view, the natural assumption is that it should work like a single reference field does, only give me access to the multiple references.

2 Likes

Please give us multi-reference fields in a dynamic list.

I am building a simple blog where we tag all our blog posts with multiple category tags (“Outdoors” and “Nature” could both be a tag for a single blog post), however I cannot display links to these categories on the individual blog pages due to the lack of multi-reference fields.

I might have to use the less than optimal workaround @CallMeChris described by creating multiple individual category references to get this to work.

Yeah this would be a great feature! It has my vote :slight_smile:

Bump. Please make this happen.

2 Likes

Hi @CallMeChris, simple noobie question: I also need multi-reference fields in a dynamic list – except that instead of a blog I want to attach a maximum of three, searchable, keywords to a business listing. For example, if a business listing (blog post) title is “Joe Blow Plumbing”, the “keywords” (blog categories) might be: “Plumbing”; “Water Heaters”; “Sewers”.
Using your workaround, can my three keywords be made searchable? If “yes”, will search give results containing ANY of the searched categories/keywords, even when Webflow’s dynamic list can (currently) only display one category?
(I want “Joe Blow Plumbing” to be a result when somebody searches for Plumbing…or WaterHeaters…or Sewers.)

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your questions. Though, if I understood you correctly, you won’t be able to to what you want.
The reason is that we webflow currently doesn’t have an either/or filter option for displaying collection items as you ( and I) actually want. As it is, the webflow filter will only display items in a collection if they all have the same references or none. :frowning:

So my ‘workaround’ above was a little premature. I didn’t realize this limitation by then and forgot to edit it (which I will do ASAP). Sry, if I mislead anyone here :grimacing:

I’m not saying there isn’t another way to make this work in webflow, but so far I’m unaware of it. So for myself I abandoned that idea, and stuck with a single topic category.

But if anyone has an idea, bring it forward!

PS.: Ah, can’t edit this anymore.

But this workaround turned out bogus. Because it depends on having either/or conditional visibility for the collection templates. Didn’t realize this back then and forgot to edit. Apologies if I led anyone down the wrong path here.

Hi @cyberdave, I´m a beginner here and i want to know if there is still no way to show multireference fields in some sort of list. I have a list of companies and each one have more than one category with a multi reference field named categories. In the Collection template Page I want to show the Categories related with this company but haven´t been able to do this.

This is the only thing that holds me to upgrade my account as a I don´t have programing skills and I´ve found Webflow the best site for me!!

Thanks !!!

1 Like

Hello @adrianrs19 Welcome to the community!

Can you please update your post with some more information so we can help you faster? Things like screenshots and your environment info really speed things up.

Posting guidelines can be found here: Posting Guidelines for the Design Help Category - General - Forum | Webflow

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Thanks @PixelGeek , I´ve allready found out what I was doing wrong. Regards!