Showing different text based on domain

Hello everybody,

a little background on what I’m trying to achieve :slight_smile:

I’m creating a simple landing page that I want to use to test out three possible names for an insurance product we want to launch.

We will publish some ads for the three domains, and we will link them to the same page, but to three different domains (all hosted on Webflow). My only need for now is to dynamically change some of the text on the site to match the name I want to test out.

Let me make a short example with the domains I have for now (the standard Webflow domain and one I want to test). I want to replace {productname} (in 4 sections of the site: where the logo is and on the three plans) with:

Is there a way for me to achieve it with custom code? Here’s my share link.

Thank you to anyone who will take the time to look into it :slight_smile:

Chiara

1 Like

Hello @chiaravet

Let me get this straight. You want to test different product names, not different domain names?

Piter :webflow_heart:

Hi @PeterDimitrov,

thank you for jumping in on this!

My goal was to do both - I want to combine domain name with product name. The exact names/domain combinations are not final, but for the purpose of this question what I want to try with is:

I hope this clarifies things!

Chiara

1 Like

So if you have two different domains you can just type two different product names. I was going to suggest A/B testing, but I don’t know how the domain name will be changed with A/B tests.

You want the name to be changed regularly? For example here > https://mrcexp.webflow.io/ You want the name to be changed not only once, but couple of times.

Trying to understand your whole idea :blush:

Piter :webflow_heart:

Okok, now I get where my idea got lost :slight_smile:

I want to do an A/B testing of sort, but because cross-domain testing is not out of the box in many tools, we are doing it as follows:

1. I am editing and hosting one single page on Webflow (https://mrcexp.webflow.io/), I connected to that page one more domain (https://join.einfach-rechtsschutz.de/) and I will be adding other two
  2. I added Google Tag Manager to the site, and set it up so that it can track data on all domains I have connected there and send the data to Analytics, where I can see all the data for each domain
  3. I will be running ads for the same single page, but I will link to the specific domains we want to test with
  4. I want that the visitors coming from an ad for (for instance) “einfach Rechtsschutz” and land on https://join.einfach-rechtsschutz.de/ see the right name on the page, and this on multiple sections of the page (everywhere, where you can see {productname}

I tried to do it with some code I found online, but I’m clearly out of my are of expertise here :slight_smile: You can see it in the custom code on the page settings, I don’t even seem to be able to paste it here and have it show…

Thanks!
Chiara

@PeterDimitrov and @chiaravet I am going to jump in on this conversation and throw out another idea for this process.

Instead of trying to figure out the code, why not create three identical page with the different names? Use the domain name to forward to those individual pages. You can then use Google Tag Manager to recognize those pages by just adding some UTM code to GA.

That way you will know who is going where and from what source.

Just a thought, if I am reading your question right.

Hi @QA_Brandon thank you for your suggestion, it does help me achieve what I need :slight_smile:

It’s definitely something that I’m keeping in mind in case my original idea cannot be done, although I would really like to find out if there is a way to dynamically set a text based on the URL. This would let me use a “cleaner” URL, and it would also be very useful for further tests I’m planning in the near future.

Thanks again!

Chiara

1 Like

Hello,
I am trying to figure this out as well.

I have a client that has a website selling products. He also resells these products to other companies that can rebrand them (resellers). My client wants to host a Knowledge Base with How To and FAQs, but he does not want to show his company name as some of his resellers.

I need to be able to have articles (CMS) that might have a {companyname} that needs to change based on the (subdomain, or login or …). If I was building this outside of Webflow I would sniff the url or pass a parameter from the button they click to get to this Knowledge Base website (Yes I will have control over the button) and change the name with Php. Is there a way to change the text on the fly? Remember this would have to work for static and CMS pages.

Thanks in advance.

@rofe yes you can do that with some custom code, but the page wouldn’t be as SEO-friendly then since the companyname is populated dynamically and will even display incorrectly on Google search results.

1 Like