Site speed issue?

Hi

I’ve run my client site www.mortgagesforselfemployed.co.uk through both gtmetrix.com and tools.pingdom.com and it’s showing up as 4 secs plus to load. Which surprised me, I thought it would load much faster. Any ideas what could be causing this please. My share link is below. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Graham

Webflow - [OLD] Mortgages for Self-Employed.co.uk

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Looks like your typeform is causing a slight delay:

CloudApp

here’s my test:

Hope this helps

Am facing the same problem. Hope anyone here can help me too. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
panda helper downloademu4ios dwonload gbwhatsapp Download

Start from “entire site” debugging":
Create new page ===> Put one heading - write “hello world” - and do the tests. You find a lot of fonts and scripts (For the entire site). “hello world” page in your case will load in 2± seconds (Instead of 0.3± s).

Only text pages like privacy also slow so this is “entire site” issue.

Like @PixelGeek mention - first, solve the fonts issue - related topic fonts & speed:

Fix this than update :slight_smile: about the result.

Thanks Nelson @PixelGeek, I’ll see what typeform say.

Hi @Siton_Systems

Thanks for your reply, that’s a big help. So here’s the results:

tools.pingdom

home page = 4.2 seconds
hello world page at /hello-world = 985ms
privacy page at /privacy = 1.06 seconds

gtmetrix

home page = 9.9 seconds
hello world page = 2 seconds
privacy page = 2 seconds

So I’ve tried to restrict the font usage to quicksand google font. However the html is showing open sans being downloaded too. I’ve searched through the site in great detail but can’t find where open sans is being referenced. Is there any quick way you know of to find it? I probably used it one place early in the design, or on one page somewhere.

I want to get rid of Open Sans first and see how much that helps before looking at other things.

As an aside, @pixelgeek it would be really useful if webflow could auto-detect fonts not being used and stop them downloading but not sure if that is possible?

Thanks again for your help, it’s much appreciated.

No way to see your custom code under “entire page” please an add screenshot of this area in your site.

My “hello world” test Vs yours:

my:

0.079 seconds & 64kb

yours:

0.943 seconds (X 13.6!!) higher & 490kb (X 7.6 higher)

Ok, your CSS is bigger (More styles) + some tracking codes + more fonts, anyway its looks very weird.

38 server req (Why?)
You load a lot of weird stuff Besides open-sans - example
https://gtrk.s3.amazonaws.com/s?u=742124&t=pf5o6a

Summary: No way to create good performance site if an empty page with “hello-world” :slight_smile: Take 1 second to load.

Hi @Siton_Systems

Many thanks for your help with this.

Rather than post multiple screenshots I’ve created this very short video to show what’s in the custom code header and footer sections:

CloudApp

We do have quite a few scripts for typeform, trustpilot, google optimize, crazyegg, google tag manager etc. But nothing out of the ordinary on a commercial site these days.

The link you posted just displays a black screen for me: https://gtrk.s3.amazonaws.com/s?u=742124&t=pf5o6a. Can you clarify please.

Any idea how to find Open Sans in my site? It’s weird because most of the pages are built with symbols and I’ve had a pretty thorough look through them.

Also, quick question, the site doesn’t download all the images and graphics in the assets section in designer, does it? Some of them aren’t used. I assume it just downloads the ones it needs but thought I’d check.

Thanks again,

Graham

Your site load this asset. I don’t know what is it.

Do copy-paste of the code before body & head (Wrap with code) - its hard to read text from a video.

Of course not. Only specific assets on the page.

Ok, thanks @Siton_Systems

I’ve put it in a text file as does’t seem to be formatting properly when I put it in the forum code tag

Google tag manager

Google Tag Manager features close integration with Google Analytics . Use Tag Manager to configure and deploy your Google Analytics tag configurations. google

You use Google Tag Manager, google analytics, Google Optimize and Google Ads Remarketing Tag. All the idea of Google Tag Manager is to Manage all your tags without editing code + one call!

Google Tag Technology - Fire tags asynchronously, so they load independently from one another and don’t slow down your pages. Pages can load faster and data collection can start sooner. docs

Debbug tool - - Tag Assistant (by Google) - Chrome Web Store

site-speed-google-tag-manager

Hi Siton_Systems

I have reasons for loading them through the site directly. All my Google Ads and FB pixel events are fired through GTM. But appreciate it could help performance so will look at using GTM for everything. Thanks.

Graham

Hi @webflow @cyberdave

Two quick things.

1 - I’ve just discovered about http2 which webflow apparently already runs on. This article suggests the things I thought were issues, (multiple image requests, js files not merged etc) shouldn’t matter with http2.

That being the case, any idea why the site is running slow?

2 - Any news on the Open Sans font bug please?

Many thanks.

Graham