Some .svg files not visible on preview / published site

Hi guys,

i noticed that there is an issues with some of my .svg “images”.

Somehow they dont display in the asset manager and also not on the preview / published site.

Has anyone experienced this too?

Here is my public link if you want to check out the logo section:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/koenigundsuess?preview=8304fa5de9e74d9bf62c61352c6d1001

Hi @George_Konig

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention! We currently have an open report on this issue and are definitely working on it - hoping to have a resolution as soon as possible!

The current workaround to get the SVGs to appear in the asset manager is to open the images:

Please keep the feedback coming - we read and log every update so if you run into more strange behavior, please let me know. :slight_smile:

Hi Brando,

thank you for your fast feedback. The workaround is exactly what i came up with too. Unfortunately the svgs keep vanishing over and over again. I guess if you refresh the site or logout / login into webflow.

Just wanted to let you know.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully we will have a solution soon!

When we do I will post here :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @George_Konig

Thanks for posting about this and for your patience with this issue.

I wanted to update you with our team’s investigation:

It looks like the SVG files that aren’t appearing aren’t real SVGs.

Think of SVGs like html files that describe shapes and angles so they can be rendered at any size and any resolution.

This differs from png file that describe every pixel of the image, and cannot be resized bigger without losing information and quality (stretching)

The files that aren’t uploading correctly are using a part of SVG spec to essentially embed a png file inside SVG code.

This may have been caused by the image editing software you used to export the SVGs (e.g. PNG → SVG conversion). You can read more on this here: Lost Redirection

A relevant snippet from the article:

The simplest way [to convert png → svg] is to use an online conversion tool. But: beware of the image to SVG conversion tools online.
Some of them do not actually convert the image to SVG, which requires retracing the image and turning it into a set of coordinates and lines, but instead just encodes the image as base64. That’s fairly easy to do without needing an online tool and doesn’t help us at all on our goal of creating a real SVG file, not another form of a bitmap image.

We currently don’t support these types of SVG files.

The best solution here is to upload the original png file or a real SVG file. Or to use software like Illustrator to trace the original image to properly convert a PNG to a SVG.