Sorting multi-reference lists

I would like to follow up on the requests form the users below which are a few years old now. Is there a particular reason why multi-reference fields cannot be sorted? I understand limitations on the number of CMS items but custom sorting A-Z, etc shouldn’t have an effect on performance. @QA_Brandon

An explanation for this limitation would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Sorting and Conditional Visibility on Multi-Reference Fields
Multi-reference field list cannot be sorted from A ➞ Z

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. This was released a month or so ago: Filter collection lists by multi-reference fields on template pages

Does this not help you?

What does sorting from Ascending or Descending order provide for multi-reference fields?

If there is context behind it and enough users wanting it, I can take it to the team for a feature enhancement. But I will need more than just I need it. What will it do for you now?

Have a Great Day and Happy Designing,
~ Brandon

Hi Brandon,

That release was for filtering. I am thinking more along the lines of sorting in the same way.

So if I have a dynamic list for organizations and I want to sort by showing the organization of Current Administrator first, I cannot do it. I can only filter but not sort in the same way.

The intention would be to show the whole list, but only the related items first instead of filtering out the non-related items.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 1.16.15 PM