Support for External REST API's?

Greetings all,

Not sure where to post “pre-sales” questions, but I’m wondering if WF provides a built-in way to access external services via REST API, including those requiring authentication - e.g. a user’s Google, Facebook, MailChimp, etc. account.

WF itself seems to have a robust API, but I’m needing to pull data in from external services. Can it be done with WF in a simple straightforward way?

Thanks much!

It depends on how the external service implements their API, so you have to be very specific on what you want to do.

Here are a few articles that might interest you:

html - How to call a REST web service API from JavaScript? - Stack Overflow
https://spring.io/guides/gs/consuming-rest-jquery/
Using JavaScript to interact with the REST Query API | Rapid7 Blog

Most of the services I’m interested in use JSON and some standard means of authenticating - e.g. oAuth, oAuth2, JWT. I was just hoping that some flexible means for connecting to external services was built into WF. Sounds like that’s not the case. :frowning_face:

1 Like

That is correct. You need to custom code the entire solution yourself or partner with your web developer.

We have the freelance category and experts directory for that.

Ok, thanks for the reply. FWIW, it would be really cool if WF allowed you to access external API’s and retrieve data in a manner similar to the built-in DB - i.e. the external data source would just be a type of “collection”. That would open up so many possibilities. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Please search the Wishlist for upcoming features, and if there isn’t one for your requested feature yet, you can create a wishlist request.

You can also subscribe to wishlist items to stay updated to announcements regarding the wishlist item.

Wishlist suggestions and discussions are off-topic for this forum, as we have a dedicated site for that. You can also ask such questions during occasional Webflow live Workshops where questions are taken from the users, and updates are provided on upcoming features.

If you do not like this policy, feel free to bring it up on Meta.

If you do not like the wishlist, feel free to provide Feedback.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.