Test Lightbox Beta

More Observations:

I’ve seen some strange behavior that I can’t yet seem to pinpoint the cause because it’s been very intermittent but has happened more than once.

• BUG: On iPhone landscape, sometime the lightbox launches with the image showing small just above the thumbnails. (See screen capture)

• BUG: I’ve had a couple times where in the design view i’m not able to scroll down to the yellow section that holds the thumbnail… seems to happen randomly when exiting out of preview mode. Clicking to site settings and back to design seems to restore functionality.

• BUG/FEATURE?:I like how swiping works on mobile but it doesn’t seem to work on iPad. Which is OK i guess while not optimal - but the arrows don’t seem to show by default on iPad so it’s a little unnatural tying to figure out how to move to the next image.

• FEATURE REQUEST: Would be nice if the images in the lightbox had “infinite scroll” rather than stoping on the last image. I guess i’m asking for an infinite scroll option in setting here.

• QUESTION: is there any costum css code we can use to do some basic styling? i.e font size, font face, font color of caption area?

Links:
Test site:
http://dayone-wip.webflow.com

Public Link:
https://webflow.com/design/dayone-wip?preview=3a9276102c0680bc13baef982aa4ede2

Hi, I’m on a PC and Ctrl + E + L doesn’t work. I Refreshed and quit the browser and restarted. Any suggestions?

This widget is supreme. Seriously, who needs Balsamiq when you have this?

2 Likes

Same here, I’m also on a PC. I’ve tried multiple times refreshing, logging in and out and it still doesn’t work. As soon I hit CTRL + E the cursor jumps to the browser URL field and populates it with a “?” then when I hit CTRL + L, it highlights the “?”.

Update to this observation: The swiping does in fact work on iPad but you have to swipe really fast. nothing happens with a normal swipe speed (or at least what I consider normal;)). You have to swipe fairly quickly before anything happens.

I figured out what is causing the issue with the page jumping to the top when clicking on a lightbox thumbnail.

If you have the body selector height set to 100% it will causes the issue. I’m using Method #2 as suggested by @thesergie in this thread here to make the hero section span the height of the browser window. Apparently this doesn’t play well with the lightbox widget.

Do you think this will be corrected or do I need to find another way to do this.

P.S i’ve given a lot of feedback but not getting much response. I hope the feedback is helping and the team is taking it all into account.

Thanks.

@bryantay, thanks a lot for your feedback and others too, this most certainly is helping, and sorry if the responses are not immediate, there is a lot of work going on under the hood :smile: We take all the feedback into consideration, and this is the right place to leave that :smile:

To everyone that can’t get CTRL +E +L in chrome to work (as it keeps doing the question mark and highlighting it in the url bar). Simply open the chrome console (f12 and click on console), paste the following and hit enter:

$("body").keydown(function(e) {
    event.preventDefault(); 
});

@flash_invisio possibly: @TStanwood, (@)Daniel_Ace

NB this will disable keyboard key defaults for the page so you won’t be able to type without bringing up an onscreen keyboard, I’m sure you can do if e.keyCode == # but it isn’t working for me.

Really excited about the lightbox. Thanks!
Everything looks good on my laptop, but the images (regardless of size) have a ton of black space above & below on my ipad. Is this something I’m doing?

Also, I know its still in beta, but for planning, do you have any ballpark estimate when the lightbox feature will support video’s. weeks? months?
Thanks!!!

https://webflow.com/design/davebarlia?preview=398bfda75bcd325216cbd9335192125e

Thanks for listening to your users guys!

Only a quick desktop test so far, seems sweet for an 80/20 solution for galleries. Nice!

One small tweak that would be nice: Clicking the image on stage always advances forward. It’s become pretty common for the left side of a gallery image to move back, and right side to move forward. If that’s not too hard, it would be a good thing to have.

Hey @ramatsu do you want clicking on the last image it will jump you back to the very first one? Or just when clicking on different “halves” of the image will take you to the corresponding image (left or right)?

We considered this feature, but learned that it’s a much simpler and straightforward UX to be able to just click on the whole image to go to the next image vs having to know which part of the image to click on (can get confusing for some users new to using the lightbox that way).

P.S i’ve given a lot of feedback but not getting much response. I hope the feedback is helping and the team is taking it all into account.

We hear ya @bryantay!

Hi @thesergie, I was referring to the second one (left and right halves for back and forward), but on looking for a good example, I’m finding it’s not nearly as common as it once was. Could be due to usability as you suggest, especially since it relied on hover to make it easily discoverable, and that doesn’t translate to mobile. So, I guess that one is a “never mind.”

No strong feelings on the question of whether the gallery should loop at the end, though I tend to always enable that at least until I discover the answer to “why not?” (It’s an option now on the slider, so I guess I assume it would be handled the same way?)

I would like to add a +1 on question of if the gallery should loop at the end. :smile:

We’re trying to figure out what is causing this on mobile devices. So far it’s looking like a hairy problem that will delay the official lightbox launch. We’ll keep you guys posted.

Looking really great! I’ve been holding out for this feature for a while; super excited to see it nearing release.

I really like the fade+slide animation; I’d love to see it as an option for standard sliders.

Is the modal window widget going to be out this week along with the lightbox?

Does… or can the lighbox take advantage of HiDPI images?

A modal is a widget with totally different usage paradigms, so that’s a separate project altogether. We do have plans to work on it though. Thanks for your patience!

Does… or can the lighbox take advantage of HiDPI images?

@bryantay Yep. So currently the images you upload will be the images served to to the customers. If it’s hidpi then the customer will get a hidpi image.

Very good job friends! It works like a charm. I love the minimalistic style specially the no border videos. It´s a big step to get a perfect Lightbox tool. Congratulations!

2 Likes