Testing Stripe payment before going live

Can I ask how people are testing their WF Ecommerce site transactions prior to going live please? I’ve tried a few of Stripes test card numbers and WF reports “There was an error processing your customer info. Please try again, or contact us if you continue to have problems.”?

Not sure if its because I need a UK card number to test with (all of Stripes are US cards)?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Hi! I came across this topic a few weeks ago as I wanted to test the checkout flow including refund + email notification, and I used my personal card to make a transaction.

I didn’t realise that Stripe would consider this transaction, because of this refund, as a breach of their Terms of Service, so they now have labelled my account as ineligible to trade with them (three weeks before going live) and after 5 months of work in setting up my business, designing and developing the platform, creating legal terms, recruiting clients, marketing, hiring, networking etc, a load of money spent on it, I cannot longer use Stripe as a payment method (linked to my company, so… that would be it. Forever).

Telling all of this to warn anyone who is tempted to do the same to think again. Mistakes like the one I just made, although was done in good faith, can have awful consequences.

In retrospect, I guess I’ve been reckless by deciding to test refund too… I thought I was only being pedantic in testing all the integrations, TBH!

I hope the Stripe Support Team will review my case and review their decision, I really do… If not I have to move to some other no-code solutions and explore other payment options (for the rest of my business life, yuppie!), as Webflow only supports Stripe and Paypal.

I also hope that my experience will help other people when they come across this topic, and will consider NOT TO TEST refunds.
L

2 Likes

It’s absolutely insane that this feature doesn’t exist.

This feature would be so easy to implement, the fact that it doesn’t exist makes my brain bleed. Stripe already does all the work for you: you have a test key, when using that one, it will accept fake credit card numbers, charge fake money and everything is good. Then you have a prodution key, when using that one, payments are made in real money. All you guys need to do at webflow is allow your clients to use the test key. Oh ok slight complication: when a test key is used, you have to turn off the 2% cut you take on each purchase. Big deal… the whole feature everyone has been begging for for 5 years could be a 24h job interview task for your next developer.

But no, I get it, this is a business you’re running. As long as you don’t lose paying customers because of it, there’s no incentive on spending the 2 engineer hours it’s gonna take on it. Now I feel stupid for mistaking this forum and the “wishlist” part of your business for a kind attempt at listening to your community and do right by them. I guess it’s just a way to harvest good ideas with revenue potential then?

1 Like

Anybody reading this. DO NOT DO THIS.

You are directly breaching a Stripe Terms of Service

What will happen is you end up with blocked Stripe account, unable to create a new one to same company/corp ID/person.

All the best, Petr