The Future of Webflow in 2015

DAAS, designer as a service, interesting. I think you might be right.

1 Like

The way I see it CMS/BLOG capabilities is not something we need to pay extra for, right now it’s something missing from the webflow service (if you compare with the competition). Unfortunately i’m still using wix because today a blog is a must on most of the sites I design.
or in other words…

“blog! blog!”

I really hope, that the Webflow staff doesn’t stray to far from the core competency (a great design tool). I would be worried that If a CMS is released their attention would be diverted to fielding requests for improvements to the CMS and not the designer. I also came from Wix and their forum board is nothing but complaints about blog and e-commerce functionality.

There are many groups that offer content management systems, and they focus on developing them, not creating a deign tool. I would recommend Modx to anyone who wants an easy to learn CMS.

The Canadian Justice Review Board is an example of a website that was designed in Webflow and integrated into Modx.

I see Webflow becoming the web standard for design, the same way Photoshop is the industry standard for image editing.

My two cents.

2 Likes

If you are looking for a blog capability, you can simply link to an external blog like medium or even wordpress. Plenty of websites do this to take advantage of apps and publishing options available for certain blogging platforms without being locked into that platform for the static section of a website.

I don’t think I can sell a client a medium blog… and I know there are a lot of other options, but it would be amazing to have the diversity and how easy it is to design and build websites in webflow, without workarounds and tricks. I think any product or tool aspires to be the best it can be, and a TOOL for building websites without code (that what webflow is right?) should not limit itself for any reason if it really wants to be revolutionary. and if it’s not what it is, they shouldn’t sell it as one.

if that’s not their goal that’s cool too, it’s still an awesome tool to use. so a formal webflow support on how to implement blog capabilities, easily, WITHOUT CODE, will be more than welcome :smile:

Have you read this thread? CMS capabilities are coming most likely along with blogging. I’m sure they will do it in a unique way that will decimate the competition. I find it hard to hear new adopters complain about what’s missing from webflow instead of appreciating the void it fills. I was an early adopter, over a year and a half ago, and it has changed my life. I’m excited for what is coming but I like hacking it as is to do what I need. If you are looking for no code options, go use squarespace or wix.

1 Like

Exactly! You captured my view on this. This “grab all grab all game” could make Webflow lose focus. My advise, stick to making the best modern web design tool. Don’t do the CMS thing, there are enough CMSes out there already. Add CMS Regions that can be auto-created as a snippet upon export of code, so the developer can integrate accordingly.

My two cent too.

2 Likes

I agree with David’s two cents :blush:

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing WebFlow’s equally smart implementation of dynamic CMS site capabilities. If it’s anything like the current app, I think we’re in for some great stuff ahead.

4 Likes

I’m more excited about the code editing capability (I don’t know if that’s coming yet or not, but it would be super cool, wouldn’t it?). :smile:

1 Like