Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Three basic CMS UI questions from newbie

1. In the Settings panel for a Dynamic List, what does the option mean: “UI State: ITEMS/EMPTY"? Does this show empty/unpopulated records on a template?

2. Still in Settings for a Dynamic List, how and why would I want to use a “Custom Attribute”? If I click “Add Custom Div Attribute” on the List’s settings, Webflow shows me an input menu pre-populated with Name = Data; and Value = Custom Value. Can someone suggest a real world example how that capability could be used with a list?

3. Is “Symbols” another name for “Global Objects”? (as in “Show Global Objects”). Shouldn’t this be “Show Symbols”? What other types of Global Objects are there?

Hi @Jim_Dandy smiley Good questions.

1)
ITEMS = what the page will look like when there are items in the dynamic list
EMPTY = what the page will look like when there are no items in the dynamic list

2) For more information on this, please refer to this article: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_global_data.asp

3) Yes. For more info on Symbols, check this out: http://symbols.webflow.io/

hope this helps

Thank you@PixelGeek...except in answer 2, you are pointing me at what looks suspiciously like computer code, and this is not permitted.
Can you provide an example of what I might enter into a List's Custom Attribute? Maybe something based on the posts in the Escape Blog template, as used in the Webflow video tutorials, which I am watching at 1440 dpi and 0.50 speed.

HTML tags can look like following: <div>. You can add attributes to it to give it more "power" like adding a class <div class="superclass">. In this case the class is a key and superclass is a value. This is of course not something you will write there, as Webflow adds classes to objects based on style you set in Style Panel.

I used custom attributes on one of the websites that had t-shirts for sell. The t-shirt had some attributes like name, price and colors. I wanted to show all of these info somehow and have them autopopulate with my code, so I added a div to the canvas and gave it few Custom attributes:

data-tshirt-name = "T-Shirt #1"
data-tshirt-price = "$29"
data-tshirt-colors = "red,blue,black"

I used some javascript code to retrieve all these data and put them in proper places in my code.

This example should describe to you how you can use custom attributes. If you are not familiar with writting custom code then you probably won't be using that anyway, but it's always good to learn more :)

I hope I have answered your question in more details!

Cheers,
Bart

Now I get it – thank you. And the w3schools.com is excellent.