Too Many Redirects — Custom Domain with SSL Not Connecting

Two days ago I turned off hosting for one of my projects and added it to a different one. I turned on SSL and my domain DNS was already pointing to the correct address but I re-updated it anyways.

Webflow UI said that the domain was connected properly, and I selected the domain without the www as the default one. However, for the last 48 hours every time I try to reach the domain I end up getting an error saying too many redirects.

The domain is https://maria.education — It was working with SSL on the previous Webflow project I had but since switching hosting to a new project it hasn’t been working even though it says connected in the Settings.

Any advice for me at this point?

Here is my site Read-Only: Webflow - Maria

1 Like

Hi Alex!

Great site so far, and I love how you’re empowering children to become lifelong learners via reading! It looks like your default domain is setup incorrectly within your Hosting Settings, which seems to be causing the issue. Would you be able to click here and republish?

Great work so far!

– Andrew

4 Likes

Thanks Andrew! I appreciate the positive feedback.

I did what you said and it’s all working now. Out of curiosity, is there a reason it doesn’t work to have the top version set as the default?.. I’d prefer if my primary link didn’t have the “www” but at least it’s working now and it’s not a big deal seeing as it redirects either way.

2 Likes

Hey @Alex_Gausman!

Glad it’s working!

To provide a little more information, we recommend having the “www” subdomain as default because our SSL implementation would require “CNAME flattening” from your DNS provider to serve the certificate on the root domain. Not all DNS providers offer this, but Cloudflare, DNS Simple, and DNS Made Easy are a few that do!

Even if you purchased your domain from a different registrar [such as GoDaddy or Google Domains], it is still possible to use one of the above DNS providers by changing your nameserver or NS records.

If you’d like to have your root domain as default we have a helpful guide at this Webflow University link!

Please let me know if you have other questions – I’m always happy to help!

My Best,

Andrew

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.