UI advice and tips

Hello team, just a general question here. When a designer plans a website and has gathered data from his client, does he know instinctively, or though experience know where exactly to place elements or components on the webpage? For example, I’m building a restaurant site and I wonder if I should place an image here or is it best there. I look at themes all the time for inspiration and wonder how did he know to place a section there or make the about section to look like that. In my mind there is a certain way for placement of elements. Anyone think this at times? How can I get better at this?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Hi @jtorr19,

1. Always, always, always, and another Always! Get a website design collection site where a client can look at a bunch of different sites. They can scroll through and find sites they like.

Give them a direction.

There are tons of others. Search for “website design inspiration” in Google.

1. Then ask them to save the site URL’s they like, and have them rank each from 1, 2, 3, etc

2. Next ask about these items in order: (What they like about the sites chosen)
    Do page structure and layout first
    Then ask about menu structure
    Content layout
    Then color palette
    Finally ask about animation and interactions

3. The client should be able to guide you from there.

Hope this helps :slight_smile: You can go to my portfolio and look at how I lay out client info:

See ya later!