Unable to edit/input text in 'spacebar_placeholder' Link Text Block

Unable to input text in placeholder link blocks.

How to reproduce error:

1. Creae ‘Header’ Section
  2. Create Navbar in Header Section
  3. Select Nav Link (block) and edit ‘all text’, insert Spacebar as placeholder (do not delete the navlink)

Work around:

1. Create artificial Left / Right Padding
  2. Edit text
  3. Delete artificial padding or replace with 0px

Hi @miekwave,

Thank you for letting us know that you are unable to input text in placeholder link blocks.

I attempted to reproduce what you are experiencing in a new project, but I was unable to as you can see in the following short screen-capture: Screen Recording 2018-08-27...

Would you be able to provide the Read-Only link to your project?

I would be happy to take a look for you.

Also, can you please try the following:

(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off: Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help

(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me: Image 2018-04-10 at 12.28.2...

Could you please let me know what browser version you’re using by sending me your information from this page? https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

There should be a small share link when you visit the page which you can send to me.

Thanks in advance!

@mistercreate

Thank you for replying.

1. I failed to clarify. The inner padding is set to 0 (this is intentional).
    You can look at it here: http://html-sandbox.webflow.io/0px-navlink

2. As stated in OP, my work around is to create artificial padding to edit text then return it to 0px.

The screenshot below shows how to reproduce.

Great workaround! Yeah, I would agree - that would be the best way to get around it when you’re unable to access the element to add text.

However, I was unable to reproduce what you are experiencing. As you may note at the 30 second mark, I removed the padding as well: Screen Recording 2018-08-27...

Would you be able to try the following:

(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off: Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help

(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me: Image 2018-04-10 at 12.28.2...

I would be happy to take a look for you.

@mistercreate

Browser: Google Chrome (latest version)

Here is Sharelink:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/html-sandbox?utm_source=html-sandbox&preview=3fbbcb13f66c0d08ffbab4999b125e52

@miekwave

Thanks for responding. I think I’m a bit confused at the use case here.

At this point it’s expected behavior to not be able to double click into an element with a 0px width. Can you provide a bit of clarification around why a navlink wouldn’t have padding or text? Knowing what you are trying to accomplish may provide insight as to how we can help. :slight_smile:

​Thanks in advance!

@Brando

1. Use Case: Special menu formatting has 0 inner-padding for this project. This is intentional as it has custom border hover-interaction beneath menu texts.

2. I also have annoyances with text behind zlayers. (for special z-apne projects) its impossible to edit texts, so I must manually nudge z pane for what i wnat to edit to 9999 then back to what it was before to edit the text. Example, big fat display bold text in background z behind a mask, which is behind main content.

3. What I would like is: A ‘Text’ editor for all next based elements or div blocks. Where - 1. select elemnt in Designer Navigator

4. Edit Text Editor

^ proposed solution will alieviate a lot of these issues discussed on this thread

1 Like

@miekwave

That’s definitely a great suggestion. I’ve run into this myself where I need to adjust z-index in order to edit the text. Definitely not the best experience and could use some improvements.

I’ll be sure to pass these ideas along to the team :bowing_man:

Thanks for the feedback here!

EDIT: I’ve filed an internal enhancement request to discuss how we can add text editing functionality to items that are hidden or otherwise not accessible on the canvas without making a style change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.